I Forge Iron

Another hello from Oregon.

Case_8

Just making a quick introduction to the posse as requested! I’ve been lurking for months and finally decided to go legit. 

Working on a forge, looking for a proper anvil, and watching a lot of youtube how-to’s in the mean time. 

Also been reading a lot of posts on here to try to educate myself before 1: asking dumb questions, and 2: asking something thats already been answered. 

Anyway I appreciate all the info Ive gleaned from you all so far and looking forward to mooching more of it. 

Cheers, CJ

By "proper anvil" you mean just a block of steel like anvils have been for 3000 years and not the London pattern anvil that's been around under 300 years, right?

Blacksmiths not only think outside the box, they break up the box and use it to start their forge fire!

Not picking on you directly but the "proper anvil" seems to indicate a basic spurious mindset.  I get a lot of new smiths telling me that have to have a London pattern anvil and they want to do stuff that was historically NEVER done on a London pattern anvil.  I find that curious...Oh well they are probably doing just what their pixels tell them to do...

35 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

By "proper anvil" you mean just a block of steel like anvils have been for 3000 years and not the London pattern anvil that's been around under 300 years, right?

Hahaha. I thought you make make a comment about that;)

While yes, it’d be sweet to have a London pattern cause they look cool, I just mean something better than my chunk of railroad track!

Good Morning Case,

The brothers at Nimba quite often bring 1 or 2 or (?) Anvils to the NWBA Spring Conference. Longview Fairgrounds, May 24-26. There are also monthly get together's, last Sunday of the month (generally), also at Longview Wash. Check out the NWBA web-site for particulars, www.blacksmith.org 

Neil

2 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

Good Morning Case,

The brothers at Nimba quite often bring 1 or 2 or (?) Anvils to the NWBA Spring Conference. Longview Fairgrounds, May 24-26. 

Niel, Cant make that this year due to work schedule, but thanks for the heads up! Was on their website last night looking for info on meetups. Was at the scrapyard today looking for something suitable, but settled on a nice post vice stand and some other stuff for future projects.  Cheers!