I Forge Iron

Burner Positioning

Kdog

Hello Guys, first time posting here. I'm building my first forge, and the cylindrical cubic inch area is 2,042 after 1" of KAO Wool. I see that I would need 6 3/4" burners. I just need to know if the burner placement should be staggered or even. I have attached pictures of my plans as of now if anyone can see anything else needed.

forge plans.pdf

First why do you need an industrial fuel hog forge?  What will you be doing so much of that it makes economic sense?  Even swordmakers DON'T want to heat more than about 6-8" of blade at a time as heating more than you can work in a heat degrades the steel and so not a good thing for swords!

Secondly if you line it with 2" of kaowool that means the interior is 4" less in diameter---8" and pi R^2 H comes out to be 1307 ci.

Thirdly this makes me wonder if you have any experience in smithing and that it would perhaps be better to make a beginners forge and learn the basics before going into industrial work---like buying a regular car to learn to drive on and make the beginners mistakes with before getting your Maserati and entering road races.

As Tom previously indicated, something around 8" long is a lot more practical for a beginner (and for most hobby smiths in general).  Don't worry, it seems that every first time forge builder makes theirs too long at first.  Mine first was/is around 14" long, and I've never needed that length for normal forging operations.

As far as the inner diameter, that depends a lot on what you plan on forging.

It would be better if you told us what you wanted to do with it so ,we could answer regarding that.  

I built a gas forge in an ABANA affiliate Gas Forge building workshop; a dozen of us built forges where the *outside* dimensions were around 9" in diameter and 14" long with a back door that flips up if you need to put long pieces in it.  Been using that over 15 years now, Teaching, historical rep work, blades (but not swords) and not gates or large scale items.  Stop by my northern shop and I'll show it to you and you can have a section of the pipe it was made from.

I'm looking at just using it recreationally. I would love to try to make a sword or something eventually, but I need to learn what i'm doing first. I'd just rather not have to make another forge if i ever did want to try a sword or long blade. Where is your northern shop? I am about 50 miles south of lubbock texas.

My locations are in my profile so they show up under my name.  I assume you plan to buy only 1 car/truck/motorcycle in your life too? 

Forges are consumables, they will wear out, your work will take a different direction, etc.  We often get people here saying "Because money is tight; I want to spend US$200 extra in fuel costs so I can save $20 in kaowool!"  (Well they don't phrase it that way; but that's what they are saying...)

Make one suitable for what you need to learn on and sell bottle openers and make the next one!

Swordsmithing was a very limited number of smiths working with  specialized training, equipment and help. (Take a look at the forge and anvil the swordsmith is using in the link I posted under the improvised anvils thread!) Unlike Hollywood, video games and fantasy novels would have it. 98% of medieval smiths would never make a sword!

Welcome aboard Kdog, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

Don't feel singled out, most all of us built too large a forge to start with, heck I still build them too big, just not crazy insane too big. However my worst too huge forge is still the main shop forge in my shop but it's configurable, I can change the shape and size of the chamber as needed. I just almost never need more than a single burner's worth.

Keep it simple, you can and will make others as your needs and desires change. Something around 300-350 cu/in is a good size if a little large. When I start talking numbers it's for the volume, (inside,) I don't do basic math for folks don't tell me what the size of the shell is. Okay? A good size forge is 6" x 6" x 9" or so and runs well on a single 3/4" NA burner. Opening as you like though I strongly suggest one on opposite sides so you can pass long pieces through to heat the center of a long piece or heat longer pieces. Check out Forges 101 for current discussions about size, shape, burner position, construction, kiln washes, etc. Getting the openings closed up as much as practical is important, you're paying for that gas you might want to get as much out of it as possible eh? 

It's an involved subject but you don't need to get it all RIGHT, all you really need is something to learn with. Save getting the "perfect" one for later. If you find it PLEASE let us know we're all looking. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.