I Forge Iron

Aussie noob onboard

Cinder

Greetings from South Australia

Hi my name is Dan and i'm addicted to blacksmithing. I have only been smashing iron for 2 months and produced 10 nails but love it so much don't see myself turning back anytime soon. I have been reading and researching for well over a year but took to the craft when i broke my ankle (still broken). My Anvil was a sideways hammer, my hammer was a smaller hammer and my forge was a propane torch.

I have a real issue with this broken world of consumerism and capitalism in which products are only made to last 1 month past the warranty so i turned to blacksmithing to make something myself that will last a few lifetimes.

Loving this site and hoping to get better educated and have fun along the way.

This is a list in no particular order of the items i hope to one day make when I bed down the basics

Pot Plant Holder
Foundry Housing
Leaf Keyring
Letterbox lettering
Tools
Book Ends
Arrowheads
Treasure Chest hardware
Door Handle
Casting Molds
Casting Tools
Crucible Holder
Park Bench
Fry Pan
Sword/Knife

Happy forging

p.s. my nickname Cinder comes from my all time fav SNES game character called Killer Instinct.

Have you looked at OZ roll call?

4 hours ago, Cinder said:

This is a list in no particular order of the items i hope to one day make

That is an impressive list to be made in one day. (grin) May I suggest that you spend one day, or more if needed, on each project. Start with the simple ones first and move on down the list.

Pot Plant Holder is easy. Just take 1/4 round bar and form a circle that will catch on the rim of a clay pot. You can then turn 90 degrees up or down depending on if you want to hand the pot on a rail, or make a couple of holes to secure it to something.This can be done cold if you like.

Tools such as chisels, punches etc are just forming one end of the stock into the working end you want. Mild steel will work if you are working on hot metal. Keep the tool cool by 3 strikes and then cool the tool in water.  You may want to quench the tool if you are going to use it for cutting. After you get the working end in the shape you want, you may wish to move up to a better steel or higher carbon steel.

Get some modeling clay and practice your technique. It is a lot easier to learn working cold material by hand. When you go to hot metal you will already have figured out the process to make the project.

Thanks for the advice. I do plan to only work on 1 project at a time. I have a 2 year old daughter so most of my time goes to her but she is actually interested in metal already, she takes 'her' 230 gram cross pein hammer and 'makes' things like daddy. Hoping she will be interested in it as she gets older. Currently im an alien in my whole circle of friends and family because im into most metal related hobbies like blacksmithing, casting, scrapping, pyrotechnics and bullion and coin collecting so it would be nice to not be alone lol. Not going to force the issue though.