I Forge Iron

Hey all,

This is my first post on this forum and I am looking for some advice.

I know that my fiance and I want to forge my wedding ring together from Damascus steel using 1095 and 15N20. I have done no forge work before and would like to get connected to some resources in Minnesota. Does anyone know of any forging groups/ clubs/ random groups of cool forging people/ makers that meet up and just get after it in the great state of MN?

I am looking into making a small forge to do some simple heat treating of high carbon steels but do not have the capacity to look into buying an anvil and larger forge.

-SmeltDelt

First I've got to ask: "How many years till the wedding?"  You are saying you have no experience but want to do a complex task requiring high skill levels.  Are you alotting enough time to learn those skills?  Are you willing to put the time and money into learning those skills? (Will you be planning to continue using them in the future so it would be an investment?)  If so *GREAT*!

Another simpler task would be to source a billet and work on just forging the rings from it (and if you have never worked with PW material before I would allow for several failures before succeeding.)

BTW what are you planning to line the rings with?

The goal here is to find if there are networks in Minnesota/ Midwest that do this, currently I am not so concerned with the logistics of this being a skill that is honed and built over years. The goal here is not to really learn to master skills with forge welding these steels or become a master blacksmith but rather to make connections.

What does PW mean in this instance? And the goal is to forge a blank where I can then come and do all the cutting, turning, and finishing in my home shop.

Pattern Welding; the specific term for what you are most likely asking about.  

I apologize I was just working off what you posted:  "I know that my fiance and I want to forge my wedding ring together from Damascus steel using 1095 and 15N20. I have done no forge work before".     This seems to me to be a bit different than your second post; which sounds much more achievable.  

Have you checked for an ABANA affiliate somewhat near you?  Doesn't need to be state specific. The old affiliate map I checked shows 3 in Minnesota and one close to a  border in Wisconsin. They would also be good places to ask about smiths that might be closer to you.  I get referrals fairly regularly as the only Affiliate in my state is about 4 hours away.   Also check for bladesmiths as they are the main forgers of PW material these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to rag on those who make 15n20/1095 and fold it by hand but theres alot of premixed and twisted bars out there you can buy for ring stock or blade stock. Really all youd have to do is drill the holes in size it and then sand it down and etch.

Most 1095/15n20 knives is premade barstock or cut out, maybe a few people forge in the bevels. Kinda cookie cutter

Wouldnt be too hard to get a .15 bladestock sheet and punch it with the ring size and saw it out.

Mod note: Most PW knives are not made of premade bars.  You need better sources to quote,   You are incorrect again.

Great idea!  It will be the best part of your planning.

My wife and i made our wedding rings at a workshop in Toronto, Ontario. 

So many people would tell us you have to do this, you have to do that when wedding planning.  It was the only thing we had total control over.

Good luck

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Thomas Powers - Yes sorry I should have been more specific with my process, i am not looking to forge out the final shape of the thing like I made it sound. I will look into those resources I really appreciate it, thanks.

Sly - You are correct it would not be that difficult to just buy a piece of raw stock and go from there, but I was looking for more of having her and I forge it together. She is such an awesome go-getter and interested in machining, forging, you name it. I would like this to be a new experience we get to do together and make something meaningful as well, thanks.

Mikedmck - Thanks, yeah I think this will be a fun experience at any rate and would like to do it with the guidance of someone who has worked around a forge longer than she or I have.

Thanks for the reply from each of you, this has helped I do appreciate it, cheers!

The first bit of "forging" I ever did was to make our wedding rings. Fortunately, there are "experience days" here in the UK (eg/ Oldfield Forge in Hereford) which let you forge your own wedding rings.

The process they follow is fine even for absolute beginners. Starting with little nugget of bar stock, you punch the hole to your ring size. Then, polish the inside face with files, and then use stock removal with a vice and angle grinder to shape the outer surface of the ring. From there, you can polish to your preference. I have no idea whether this is anything like a traditional ring-forging method but it works great. The particular forge I went to offer to plate the ring with gold etc if you prefer, but a basic stainless ring won't rust when worn thanks to natural wear and skin oils.

I'm sure there must be similar outfits in the US which offer similar experience days.... and I'm sure if you wanted to use a particular material (damascus) they could oblige for additional cost, or you can provide the stock. Damascus billets are available on ebay for knife making and an experienced smith could easily bash this into a round bar for making a ring.

Now..... if you are talking about pattern welding your own billet etc, thats very different. I wouldn't bother buying your own forge, anvil etc if unless you're serious about picking up the craft. If all you want to make is a couple of rings, do it in the safety of an established forge under the guidance of an expert.