I Forge Iron

Mini Forge. What ya think?

Cardboard Duck

Hey, new member! Just built myself a gas forge in my workshop and was wondering what you all think? Made from 7" steel tube. 1"Kaowool, 3/4" castable, and a coat of ITC100HT.  Dual Burners from Fucina Forge. Hoping it will get to Weld temperature.

Photos are of the 100HT curing. Haven't gone full whack yet! EXCITING TIMES.

15484181809295944545216037809220.jpg

15484182155654613892830614214171.jpg

I went to their site, and am pretty sure you got your money's worth in that burner kit, which isn't an easy trick to pull off. Do they offer additional flame retention nozzles for sale? Nozzles--especially if they are thin--must be regarded as consumables. If not, look in the Forges 101 thread to find out how to build and tune a stepped nozzle.

Thanks for all your replys! Reached welding heat no problem. Running nicely between 8-10psi. The burners are capable of running at 20psi, though I don't want to lose my eyebrows just yet!

The nozzles are 3/4inch threaded brass. I'll pull them apart later in the week and show you all their construction? I've read a few pages where Fucina Forge items are mentioned and they seemed like a grey area. Although biased, as I've only ever used these burner, they seem to run very well!

I also shut them down by closing the air choke fully, then the gas. Made the mistake by shutting the gas straight off and "Boom!" Won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Nice looking forge. How many cubic inches for the volume? Your build is very much like my first pipe forge, it has 1" Kaowool and 3/4  hard inner liner. The ITC-100 doesn't last, it doesn't fire hard and so rubs off. Check out some of the home brew kiln washes we talk about, I think in Forges 101. The bentonite and zircopax wash fire hard as a rock and is very durable.

The burners popping on shut off is an effect of having the shut off valves so close. I put a main 1/4 turn ball valve right behind the regulator and the individual one on the manifold, not on the final supply lines. The main shut off is there to stop bad from happening quickly, a tossed rag will swing it to the off position even. When you shut the burners off with the main valve propane pressure in the lines drops more slowly so the burners piddle out about like closing the chokes. You'll only get a LITTLE sputtering maybe, no bangs or pops.

How hot did the shell get? I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of it running. 

Well done.

Frosty The Lucky.

10 minutes ago, Cardboard Duck said:

The nozzles are 3/4inch threaded brass. I'll pull them apart later in the week and show you all their construction? I've read a few pages where Fucina Forge items are mentioned and they seemed like a grey area. Although biased, as I've only ever used these burner, they seem to run very well!

I would be interested to know more about their construction. I see such imported burners and some of the forges, as viable equipment for  some of us. Just like imported grinders and drills, I think they make sense for lite use; and that covers a lot of beginners.