I Forge Iron

First time build, advice needed

FoxRidge

Hello all,

I’m in the process of making a gas forge from a refrigerant bottle. My original plan was 2 layers of 1 inch ceramic fiber blanket, rigidizer, 1/2 inch of kast-o-lite 30, and a final layer of a zirconium silicate wash.

But after reading the posts from D.Rotblatt, the idea of rigidizing followed by a thin coat of zirconium/silica and having a forge with a much lower thermal mass is appealing. What’s bothering me about this is that my 8# ceramic blanket is only rated at 2300’F and I don’t know if the thin layer will insulate/protect the ceramic blanket from degradation like the hot face of kast-o-lite. I don’t want to save on propane at the expense of having to rip down the forge and rebuild.

My burner is a 1/2 inch Mikey burner.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

forge.jpg.bf0dbf68e396a88ee58f0a2b6c6094fd.jpg
I'll cut access and vent holes in 'covers' once I know where my floor is.

forge2.jpg.c1f96dd273ef55d314bb3076888c2ee7.jpg

burner.jpg.a79d65188f745b126a4f8b25187c427d.jpg

.023 mig tip, 3 intakes, filed square and beveled on inside lower edge.

flame.jpg.ccfda2e1f108e30162e829922ce54e22.jpg
Flame at 5psi, choke almost closed.

• 2 months later...
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:45 PM, FoxRidge said:

What’s bothering me about this is that my 8# ceramic blanket is only rated at 2300’F and I don’t know if the thin layer will insulate/protect the ceramic blanket from degradation like the hot face of kast-o-lite

I'm sure you've built it by now, but for others and future reference I have used the coating on 2300 ceramic blanket in a furnace.  It does hold up pretty well, did many pours out of that furnace and I think it still has the same lining after years of use.  Still, this is less use then a forge, as a melt takes under an hour, so 50-60 pours is only that many hours.  Never-the-less, in a furnace the flame is pointed directly on the wall of the blanket and it works fine.  Every few years I would add another coat or two of the zircon shell coating.  Only takes 30 minutes or so, and then just fire it up.  Heals the cracks from tong abuse.

Dan R

I like your choice of re-emissive & sealing hot-face coat, and realize that--by far--the greatest expense is always fuel use. Best heat reflection versus armoring and heat reflection is a personal choice; not a matter of right or wrong. He laid out his priorities, and knowing how hot that burner is, I only tried to help him reach his stated goal. However, everyone else needs to decide what direction they wish to choose best on their goals; not his :)

The last thing I would like, is to see your coating being dissed in any way. I plan to use it myself :D