I Forge Iron

Wanting to learn

Jon smart

First let me say thanks to anyone who replies to this thread and I apologize for the wrong names used as I am just learning what each part is called. (Gotta start somewhere right?)

I am wanting toward how to manipulate metal and create my own designs. I have an idea of what to do to get started but want to ask the professionals and old timers who have tried and true methods before putting something together and it being severely wrong. 

I am looking at doing a propane furnace to melt metal for some things as well as a forge to learn how to make knives. I’m not a millionaire but I also won’t buy the cheapest grade materials. 

My question is mainly where do I begin and what materials do I need to start creating things? 

2 hours ago, Jon smart said:

I am looking at doing a propane furnace to melt metal for some things as well as a forge to learn how to make knives.

Here's your first lesson: If you want to both forge and cast, then you should know that the biggest difference between a small casting furnace and a tunnel forge is how they sit. Usually, a tunnel forge sits horizontally, while the furnace sits vertically, although a very few guys prefer that their forge sits vertically. If you spend some time reading up in the Forges 101 thread, you will find that most of the ends and outs of forge design is common sense, and that the more you learn the less your forge will cost.

Second lesson: Your forge should not set directly on a table, so most guys extend four legs down from its steel shell. By using small angles, you can build a box shape to mount it in instead of legs; then all you need to do is rotate the box to place the horizonal forge in a vertical position, and it's a casting furnace. You have already cut the cost of your equipment in half.

Third lesson: A casting furnace needs to be large enough to accommodate its crucible, plus the tongs you will use to take the hot crucible out for pouring; that extra distance also allows the flame room enough. So, you have two reasons to keep your forge/furnace small, because only a fool starts learning to cast from a large crucible. See how much money you've saved already?  :)