I Forge Iron

jewelers chasing/repousse hammer

bobasaurus

I made this jewelers chasing/repousse hammer for my Father's xmas gift.  It started as a 1" diameter bar.  I tapered one side to 3/4", then upset the other end to make a ~1.5" rivet-style head.  I then punched and drifted the eye.  Everything else was ground to shape, as it's very tricky to forge in the delicate fullers on a small hammer like this.  It is heat treated, but tempered back to be fairly soft on the face to allow for better gripping of the chasing tool shanks.  

I turned the handle from apple wood, the wedges are jatoba.  Shellac and renaissance wax finish. 

2018-12-23_21.05.22.jpg

2018-12-23_21.08.20.jpg

2018-12-23_21.01.16.jpg

2018-12-23_21.03.10.jpg

I love the “look” of that hammer. Very nice. I would love to see a known size object next to it to get a better idea of size. Great job. 

I know you gave us sizes for both sides but a dollar bill or some such gives me a better idea. My brain just works like that. I am sure most say “ I got it”. Again she is a beaut. 

I know you gave us sizes for both sides but a dollar bill or some such gives me a better idea. My brain just works like that. I am sure most say “ I got it”. Again she is a beaut. I see you are in Colorado. So am I. What part?  I am in northern between Longmont and Loveland. 

• 1 month later...