I Forge Iron

Chimney Advice--no Santa

ede

No, Santa did not get stuck down my chimney.

I've taken over a blacksmith shop where there are 5 coal forges. The exhaust system on four of the forges that were installed by the previous smith--may his soul rest in peace--does not appear to be installed correctly. 

So I'm looking for ideas on what would be the best method to correct the situation as I'm not a fireplace/chimney or HVAC expert.

The main forge has a brick chimney  and short of some modifications that need to be done to the hearth, I’m not concerned about that one, it draws well.

It’s the other four coal forges that are connected together and exhaust into an opening at the center of the building where the exhaust fan is. This vents right below the dormer. I haven’t been up on the roof or ladder to inspect yet.  However what I see looks like single walled tubing that is too close to the timbers rafters and joists. Somehow I don’t think it’s a good idea to vent through the dormer.

Could these be ported into the brick chimney stack? 

C741894A-20CB-4D48-9D83-993D9D2CF8FB.jpeg

2EFD5D48-DE55-4485-8F84-8F56169A5489.jpeg

2EF9A4CE-B2DE-4D22-88AB-3FFC0B6AACBB.jpeg

2C128DD3-DAA4-4D9B-8F65-FC7FC2AC39A0.jpeg

Note that forge chimneys run MUCH cooler than woodstove chimneys.  I can put my hand on my coal forge chimney at a height my wood stove chimney is running above 400 degF.  HOWEVER the code is most likely to be based on wood stove chimneys and will make you spend a ton of un-needed money to meet it---but you have to meet it to have insurance coverage!

On 12/25/2018 at 5:40 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Exhausting into the dormer is a bad idea indeed. You may be able to get away with all the forges running into the one pipe if it were to be extended through the roof and be tall enough to avoid downdrafts. What diameter are the pipes?

I have to measure but I estimate about 12-14"

On 12/26/2018 at 8:35 PM, swedefiddle said:

Good Morning,

Talk to your local Chimney/Brick Layer. They will tell you what and why, is allowed in your area. Fire Marshall's need to be appeased or NO Insurance.

Neil

That's a good idea.  I have insurance already but they never bothered to look inside.  This building was originally a blacksmith shop in the 1830's.  

On 12/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Note that forge chimneys run MUCH cooler than woodstove chimneys.  I can put my hand on my coal forge chimney at a height my wood stove chimney is running above 400 degF.  HOWEVER the code is most likely to be based on wood stove chimneys and will make you spend a ton of un-needed money to meet it---but you have to meet it to have insurance coverage!

Maybe if they are double walled insulated or with the use of coke it is cooler?  I did the blacksmith tap on the pipe at about 6' above the shop floor and it was too hot to the touch. I think this may be due to the coal flaming up more with the volatiles so maybe I should try this with coke since I just installed an electric blower.