I Forge Iron

Brazeal cut hardy mistake

So I'm grinding some tools into my vertical railroad anvil I'm shaping. Decided on a brazeal hardie hot cut on the right flange since I already had a straight edge to grinder into. The thing is, I'm not only new to blacksmithing but also using a grinder and I cut too far and may have compromised the structural integrity of it. Here are some pics if you wouldn't mind giving me your thoughts? 

20181118_122148.jpg

20181118_122039.jpg

Probably won't affect it really. It should only be cutting Hot steel. As in glowing medium red the coolest. The hot cut does look a bit sharp as in the angle and will probably need dressed every so often. Just watch that when hammering. Wouldn't be any fun losing fingers. 

You could actually grind it a little lower than the rest of the area and then grind a hot cut in it. You dont usually need that sharp of a wedge. 

As far as it breaking, I don't see that happening without some heavy cold striking it. 

Ah, didn't I just now finish talking about butchers as opposed to hardies? . . .Mmmmm, Ayup I did! :)

A single bevel is a butcher, cuts will be straight on one side with the pinch off on the other. 

It's darned acute (long taper) even for a hardy but that's okay, just make it more obtuse (blunter angle) as it dulls. 

This one is acute enough it WILL anneal the first time you cut with it. Do NOT cut cold on it! Rail is high carbon steel that is NOT shock resistant. The current bevel will break down (dull) quickly, don't sweat it, it needs to be more blunt. 45* is a little too blunt, 60* is closer. A little convex will cut more easily than a straight face but don't sweat the fiddly bits for now.

Frosty The Lucky.

Glad to hear that little cut error didnt damage it too badly then. I was aiming for a 45* slant, not 60*. Good to know it should be closer to 60*. I still have a wee but more grinding to do anyway, those pics were misleading. Need to even out the cutting edge. Front shot attached here. 

20181118_151136.jpg