I Forge Iron

Questions about belt grinders/sanders

I had the good fortune to purchase about 1800 AL/OX Klingspore cloth backed sanding belts at auction. My problem is that these belts range in width from 5 to 7 inches in width, come in two grit sizes 80 and 150, and they are all 148 inches long. I am considering making my own grinder since I have most if not all of the material needed to do this but I need some opinions on design considerations. I have looked into the possibility of shortening the belts, and that does not seem to be a viable option. I am not sure, but I think I should be able to split the belts into the standard two inch wide belt width without too much difficulty, since I have done this previously with 6x48 inch belts successfully, but , of course, I'll still have the 148 inch length to deal with. What I have in mind is a triangular shape with a base 2-3 feet in length and two uprights of equal length which would make the final height somewhere around 5 feet...which works for me. Any and all help/suggestions are appreciated.:)

I would think about simply adding an idler that takes up the slack. Viewed from the side, your belt would then assume a "V" shape rather than be triangular. This saves building a gigantic frame. In addition, I'd also leave the belt width alone as I think splitting will be more trouble than it's worth. Make all the pulleys 7 inches wide (or whatever your widest width is) and let the smaller belts run where they will.

This is good advice. Longer belts last longer, and even with 1800 of them, why not have a lifetime supply. Also, there is nothing standard about 2" wide belts. Common, maybe, but the more surface area available, the more versatile your machine will be. Also you will never be able to splice them as well as the factory, if at all. Two of your pulleys will need to be crowned, and one of the crowned pulleys should have angular adjustment. You can weld most of the framework, but try to design mounts for moving parts which can be shimmed if needed. There are whole websites on shop built belt grinders.

You could also have a solid mount base and then an adjustable idler on a bracket on the wall behind it to slide up and down the wall for the correct length you need. You could use different length belts i this maneer with the idler where you could lock it iin place.