I Forge Iron

First Forge Any Opinions?

Seabass

So this is the forge that me and my dad built to get me started. I know that this isn't an ideal set-up by far but it is what I have at the moment. I was wondering what you all thought about it. At the moment I am also thinking about wood for fuel because it is what is the most accessible for me.

Thanks, 

Seabass

IMG_3046 (1).jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3050.jpg

You might really want to replace the gravel with clay. Rocks can explode under high heat. 

As for the rest it would help to know whats going on with the pipe going into the tank. 

With that setup, look up the Tim Lively washtub forge design.

You will also want to bank the sides so you use less fuel, especially with charcoal! I prefer to have the wood burning at a different location and transfer hot coals to the forge  as the smoke can be troublesome. ++ on the Time Lively washtub forge suggestion you are very close to it right now

The pipe is a 2'' diameter steel pipe with holes drilled in it facing towards the top and a cap screwed on the end. We also placed little circles of mesh over the holes so nothing would get in there.

21 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

I prefer to have the wood burning at a different location and transfer hot coals to the forge  as the smoke can be troublesome.

So I have heard both ways. Is it possible for wood to achieve the heat needed to forge? I have heard that using wood as fuel is simply waiting for coals and using that so in essence, it's a charcoal forge. On the other hand, I heard that is totally possible for wood to achieve the heat needed and that you don't need to wait for coals at all. So I am curious.

Seabass

I think if you do a little research on the washtub forge, notch the front and back of that tank for a passthrough and replace the stone with clay in the shape shown in the style we mentioned looking up, you will be fine. 

A lot of small work doesnt need all that area to be heated and will just waste fuel. You would be better to figure a way to block atleast half the pipe holes when not needed. 

Wood does not get hot enough, the coals are charcoal and charcoal has been used for over 3000 years now for smithing iron/steel.

Note when I build my first forge it had a long linear tuyere that I brought all the way out the other end and I controlled the length of the fire with a ramrod that went in the far end and could be moved to the proper place---I used a steel pulley on a steel rod as they fit the pipe i was using---back in 1981.  Having the far end open allowed me to clean it out just by turning the blower on and removing the ramrod.  Mesh is contraindicated---especially if it was GALVANIZED!!!!

So we have a ton of wood around, both treated lumber like 2x4's from house construction scraps, and actual cut down trees too. For the 2x4's, I cut them into 2x4x6'' chunks and for the  "tree wood" we just cut it up into small chunks too. Would it be more beneficial to burn the wood in the forge and wait for it to burn down into charcoal, or to make the charcoal myself. I'm sure you all know the procedure to make your own charcoal but on the small chance you don't, you basically burn wood in a closed bin with one hole in the lid. This basically roasts out all the impurities and moisture without actually letting air in and burning it like it would in a fire.

Seabass

Do Not use treated lumber. There are some bad toxins in it. Stick with untreated lumber or regular fire wood.

I would either do as Thomas says and build a separate fire and transfer the coals, or premake the charcoal in a retort. If premaking it, yes you'll want a consistant size and type of wood per batch. With a separate fire it wouldnt be as important other than not having very thick pieces.

Ok...it has come to my attention that the 2x4's that I was referring to earlier are not treated. So with this knowledge, which do you think would be more helpful? Making those chunks into charcoal before, or transferring the coals like Thomas says?

Thanks,

Seabass