I Forge Iron

New Toy

Ian

My latest purchase arrived this week and I'm pretty happy with it. Should certainly come in handy wherever it ends up going. For now it's living in the bosses cellar, along with several other bits of kit (I still darent tell him about the 'little' forge hearth in there. LOL) safely greased and wrapped up snug.

6686.attach

That's a cute little bugger, but you're missing a ball =P Your press is large enough it would use a ball on each end of the arm (thus the upturn with the tapered spike) Time to drill a hole in a dumbbell =P

Going by the pallet, that looks to be around a 4 or 5 or so in size?

I love the little (2.5 ish) fly press in my shop.

True price for flypress - thread?

I saw a flypress (used) on sale on Saturday - $150.00. I thought seriously about buying it, but decided against it 'cause I don't have a welder set up now to help make tooling for it.

Sorry, I don't know the size - looked comparable to this one, but it was an “H” frame.

With the (very heavy) base made for it, I paid $350 for my #2-#3 (about mid way) fly press and that was a good deal all things considered. Now this isnt the best forging flypress because it's a bit undersized, but it still does a LOT of work that would be hard to do by myself in a timely manner in the shop by myself. This was also about the largest press that I could get into my shop by myself. It still took me a day and a lot of work with ramps and pulleys just to get the press back on top of the stand.

6694.attach

Goatman, that flypress could have paid for your Quad-State trip if it was in undamaged condition!

Run see if it's still there. Shoot you can pick up an old lincoln welder for US$50 that will plug into a stove outlet; but fly presses are hard to find cheap! (OK, I pad US$50 + 15% buyer's reaming + $35 to have a rigger load it and it really was too heavy a load for my little pickup; but in general they are hard to find/expensive creatures...)

I think i'ts gone.

AND I don't have a forging business, just a hobby, so it wouldn't pay for itself other than time savings, (which IS still important).

Still a missed opportunity! Having never looked into flypress prices, I was ignorant at the time. I'me sure it will never come again.

someone got a good deal, though; hopefully they can make good use of it.

-EDIT-
Thomas - O, I see. You meant re-sell it @ quad states!

Edited by GOATMAN

I found an old flypress while flyfishing the McKenzie river here in Oregon almost 20 years ago. I tripped over it while casting and wading in shallow water. I am assuming someone had been using it for an anchor on a river boat. Didn't know what it was at the time but a buddy and I through it in the back of my truck. It sat in my garage for quite a few years till I finally brought it to the dump (by request of my wife). If I had only knew what it was at the time. Although it was heavily rusted, it was restore-able for sure. Fast forward to the present and I am sitting here reading post like these and kicking myself. :(