I Forge Iron

I Need a little help picking anvils, thank you for the help in advance

Hello, I'm fairly new to blacksmithing and I'm looking to buy a real anvil, though i live in Connecticut and haven't been able to find any within driving distance. I've searched online and found some promising looking anvils but I'm not sure which would be better. The first is a Bulgarian style anvil from oldworldanvils for $775 it's made of high carbon manganese steel and it's 110lbs. The second is a JHM AB Legend 120lbs for $655.40 from anvilbrand. it's made of ductile iron. The reason I'm so conflicted between them is that I don't know which material would be best i intend to make weapons like knives, swords, damascus, and I'm also thinking of trying out making some armor as well but that won't be for a long while. What would you recommend ?

Nicholas, I've seen plenty of anvils advertised for sale in CT recently and for the past few months.  Not sure what media you are using to do your search.  If you search CraigsList, you should find a few in CT as well as a few in Mass, RI, and NY which should be within driving distance for you.  You can refine your search to look up to 200 miles (I think) from your zip code.  Not sure exactly what your budget is but most of what I've seen on CL recently would be within the cost in your original message.  You can also look on ebay and there are several facebook anvil forums that may have local to you anvils for sale from time to time.  I'm in NJ and I've driven to Mass, CT, VT, NH, PA, and Indiana to look at anvils that I saw on CL or ebay.  Even had a guy drive down from VT to meet me at a rest area on the Mass Pike so I could look at an anvil.

Oh, and I'm not crazy to drive all over looking for anvils.  My son goes to college in Indiana so I looked out there on one trip to see him and my parents live in NH so I made some side trips on a couple of visits up to see them.

BTW, on CL right now there are a BUNCH of anvils for sale in CT. 160lb Fisher $340 Stonington, plus others in Stonington including PW, Hay Budden, Vulcan, other Fishers, plus a bunch in Mass as well.

Hello Nicholas and welcome!

Please try and do as PVF Al said. You're not gonna sorry if you do so. Those prices you wrote are very high even in the States.

And as a beginner you don't really need a "real" anvil - so Flatliner's suggestion about reading through the improvised anvil thread is also very wise. 

Save your money for more important purchases at the beginning, then make some money with your continously advancing skills, and then you'll find the anvil of your dreams.

Bests:

Gergely

I've seen pictures here of stores in Ohio with a plethora of anvils for sale in them. You pretty much can't get to Indiana from Connecticut without going through Ohio.

I also think you are confusing a "real" anvil with a london pattern anvil---which has only been around about 1/10 the time smithing has been going on and in a fairly localized area.  For example none of the medieval swords were forged on London Pattern anvils! I too would suggest you use an improvised anvil until you get to a level where a London pattern anvil is worth the cost. I've forged a Pattern Welded Billet on a chunk of RR rail with a claw hammer before to demonstrate the process when on a trip---you need the SKILLS not the tools!

Also armour making is generally done with stakes not anvils---may I commend to your attention armourarchive.org a series of websites dedicated to making armour (and yes many use the English spelling of armour instead of the American spelling armor.)