I Forge Iron

My first usable project

brickforgebeginner

Hey all, I’m not sure where to post this but I am excited and wanted to share some pics of my first tongs!! They aren’t perfect but they work!!! I do have 1 question. I broke the first pin I peened in place. It was a small piece of metal rod. Can anyone tell me what is the best thing to use for pins?

126FBCFB-95B2-4A7A-913E-4647D7B29294.jpeg

77EF0363-2ED4-45C7-8A09-4492E57BCC44.jpeg

Ooh, theres that "best" word... haha.

I don't even see the "pin" in it. We usually use a rivet with the ends protruding a bit. You want a rivet sized to the material in the tong boss and sized according to the work the tongs will be doing. I don't have any ratios. Just looking at them I'd guess something in the 3/8" or a little larger would work for those. 

On a couple quicky tongs I've made I have used part of a bolt as a rivet. It already has one end and you can pien the other end. Best if you get one with an unthreaded portion enough to use and cut off the threaded part. 

Time to start researching rivet making. ;)

Sorry thse pics were taken just before drilling.  A smooth shank bolt is what I tried using the first time.  I cut the threaded part off, then used the 2 lb ball peen hammer to mushroomed (with a lot of tapping) the protruding end.  The makeshift pin snapped at the hex head side after opened and closing a few times.  

Best is a bad word without a lot of qualifying---would you mind if the "best" material cost more than your house or required working in a nitrogen purged atmosphere while installing?  Now what's a good material for a tong rivet is a bit more answerable.  I use rivets, bolt pieces, mild steel.

Brickforge, you'd be better setting the rivet Hot. The cold hammering may have cracked the bolt. 

Also I should be more specific as in not using a high grade bolt. And also note that many bolts are galvanized, and thats not good in the forge, but the galvy can usually easily be removed in a vinegar or muriatic acid/water mix bath. Neutralize after in bakingsoda water solution.