I Forge Iron

New forge table.

Dave M

I am in the middle of building a new forge table but it seems huge. The table is 36"x 36"x 1/4" and it will have a 9" x 14" vulcan fire pot. The fire pot is centered 11" from each side of the table and 8" from the back of the table, giving me 19" of table in front of the fire pot. The 14" length of the fire pot is running left to right and the 9" width is running front to back. I intend to use this forge from the sides with Hofi's side draft set up in the back giving me a nice big work area in front of the fire pot. I know what you are thinking we need pictures but right now all of the parts are just mocked up on my shop floor. I just don't want to weld up the 2"x2"X1/4" angle iron frame for the table only to have to cut it down in size. Once I get rolling on it I will take pictures of the steps.

well to ME it don`t seem to big my forge table is about 36 x 30 so its about the same as yours. the frame on mine is 3 inch c channel! (You think yours is over kill look at mine LOL) the plate on top is 1/4 inch also. My thoughts on it it is not to big , but a lot of it depends on your space. (No I have a SMALL shop so don`t think i have a huge shop) ANd also its YOUR forge build it to work and the size YOU want !
Thanks,Chris

The table size is fine but a little thick. Your table really only needs to be about the thickness of 12 guage which is 3/32" - 1/8" . Most of your heat will be contained in the fire pot.

We have 8 forges at the Blacksmith Guild of Central Maryland and have been using them for a few years now with no problems. These are all side draft hoods also. I found one of the old forges that we used to work on that was 20 x20 and to look at I can't believe we worked on something that small.

Reb

The Civil War Blacksmith

The size is fine but too thick. You're not going to be forging pickup trucks are you?

My forge is the same size and I think putting the fire pot off center is a good idea. Mine is centered and it could be better. It isn't bad, just could be handier.

Frosty

I have lots of 36"X36'X1/4" plates, so I thought heck no cutting great size. We use the plates to cover sewer, drain or utility holes in roads so we could pave over them. The company closed and told me to take all of the steel that we use to use.:D I know it is over kill but its free the only bummer is that all of the 2"X2" and 4"X4" I got are cut in 2 foot sections, too short for legs.:( I know I could weld them together but I don't want it to look to much like frankinforge.

I have lots of 36"X36'X1/4" plates, so I thought heck no cutting great size. We use the plates to cover sewer, drain or utility holes in roads so we could pave over them. The company closed and told me to take all of the steel that we use to use.:D I know it is over kill but its free the only bummer is that all of the 2"X2" and 4"X4" I got are cut in 2 foot sections, too short for legs.:( I know I could weld them together but I don't want it to look to much like frankinforge.

could always make a square out of 2"x2" and weld 6"or so legs to the bottom and 24" legs to the top like a foot ring.

Would look good and give you a foot rest. :D