I Forge Iron

The maiden forge.

This is the first thing that I have done. Pretty sure that I was supposed to heat treat before sharpening, but I got excited with the bench grinder. I only have some ancient tongs, so I couldn't get a grip on it after I cut it off to do anything to the handle. So I just put it in the vise and bent it the way it looks. 

Is it too late to heat treat it since I sharpened it some or can it still be done. Also just some general pointers and advise. 

Thanks

20180925_185920.jpg

nice profile.  interesting.  I think rebar is usually considered a mystery steel that very rarely has enough carbon in it to harden, but just like railroad spikes you'll have those who say they've done it.  so who knows.  others will know for sure, but if I were going to try, I'd probably treat it like 1045.     good luck 

I don't even know what 1045 is. Lol. I bought 3 pieces of 10 ft rebar to play with until I get my hammering technique down. I saw a leaf on another post I am going to attempt, but I really need to try to make some tongs or buy some. 

I can't believe how fun it was making that. 

Buy them. Your skill level is not yet good enough to make decent tongs, and it's much better to have some decent ones that actually holds the work  securely than it is to waste time, material, and fuel on ones that don't. It's a safety issue as well: an insecurely held workpiece can flip out of the tongs when struck and go flying through the air, burning whatever it ends up hitting. You don't want that.