I Forge Iron

1st anvil

At 58 something about blacksmithing caught my entrest .I have been in construction all my life.just perchested a Southern Crescent. I want to repair it .keep in mind I do not know anything but it is something I want to learn. Thank you Ronald L.

Edited by Ronald L
Spelling

Welcome to IFI. I always suggest reading this thread to get the best out of the forum.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

Don't be surprised if the Mods move your first thread to the proper section. You might want to read some of the threads in the anvil section about repairing anvils.

Welcome aboard Ronald, glad to have you.

Before you "repair" that Southern Crescent please post some pictures here. You  may be thinking a perfectly good tool needs repairing for cosmetic reasons that have nothing to do with utility. Many fine old smithing tools have been ruined with the best of intentions. Please don't do ANYTHING to it till you know for sure.

Frosty The Lucky.

I second Frosty's comments.  Any metal you take off the anvil to make it look "better" or "fix" it is all metal you can't put back on.  We'd love to see pictures.  Take a steel ball bearing and drop it on the face (top surface) from 10 inches to see how far the ball bearing rebounds back up.  Clean the face of the anvil first by just taking a wire brush and knocking off any surface rust.  You are looking for a steel ball bearing to bounce (rebound) back from the surface of the face at least 7 inches.  This would indicate a hard face plate, which is what you would be looking for.  Most of us here just lightly clean the surfaces of the anvil and oil it which preserves the nice patina.  Here's a picture of my anvil edges.  Notice the edge damage......that's perfectly good and there is no need to address damage like that and you can use it as is.  That's what I'm doing.  Fixing the edges or the shelf near the horn is really unnecessary to have a good usable anvil.  DSCN3864.thumb.JPG.97dd34b94c170f9e587dcfc40f5a6c10.JPG