I Forge Iron

Kukri

Cannon Cocker

20180826_133448.thumb.jpg.58af305c2cf1cfe50f771c85dba4c157.jpgI've made a few knives before this one, but they were all material removal blades out of files, saw blades, etc. This is the first knife I'd ever forged. There are quite a few things on it that I would improve on in the future, but I'd appreciate some of those more experienced eyes to help me learn and improve as well.  It is made out of a used ferrier's rasp. The double hilt is brass with a leather stack in the middle. I also tooled the sheath.  

20180826_133528.thumb.jpg.99f48ea6be65aa8f14276a383c2cc785.jpg I was told that when you make a kukri you have to pose with it like this! 

20180408_125559.thumb.jpg.d74f30ee9b2bc52ff52bb70f7681cb1a.jpg

Nice work CC. 

It all looks good to me but it also could be better with a little more refinement. The bone on the handle looks fine, the stacked leather looks a little choppy like it could have been sanded more smooth. The brass a bit more too. 

The blades grind line could be a bit more even. ( this is where draw filing helps). 

The sheath tooling and coloring looks great. The bottom edge profile could be a little more even.

The file teeth could be stress raisers but might be fine. 

There, just some things I noticed. I'm no pro, but maybe that will help refine your next ones.  I really like it overall. Has a great look to it. 

Now don't come to my house looking like in that photo haha. 

Das I noticed all of those things as well. I need to spend some time making jigs and guides so that I can crisp up those features you pointed out. That's not an excuse, I know that that could all be done by hand with the tools I have. I just didn't take the extra time that the hand work requires. 

The taper really should go up the blade higher as well.... 

Thanks for your input! 

Sometimes ya just want to get to the next step so you can get it done and enjoy it. :) You just have to spend that extra time and the level of quality goes way up.

Can't say how many times I jumped to a finer grit sandpaper for a while just to realize I needed to step back to the courser. 

Also it's amazing how much easier it is to control the work with hand tools. Takes longer but more control.

I agree with you on that! I am usually very good at taking the time to get the fine detail that I want. However, that attention to detail kinda gets thrown out the window the first time I do something because of how excited I am by the project. The trick I need to master is remembering that in the moment!!!!!!!!!