I Forge Iron

Hand Forged Dividers ?

Maybe someone can help me. A couple of years ago I saw plans for a set of dividers that were forged all from one piece of steel. One of the legs was looped through another piece of itself if I recall.

Am I crazy? Has anyone else seen this, and can you point towards some directions maybe?

Thanks in advance

Right. I saw those.

The ones I'm referring to are forged out of one piece of steel and don't have a screw/thread setup. One leg is forged out longer than the other and has a crook or somehting that traps the opposite (short) leg in such a way as that you don't need the arc/bolt/nut pieces.

I'm making a hash of this explanation, but those dividers were the berries and I've been wanting to make a pair.

Ok, after thinking about it last night I sat down and drew a pencil sketch of them as I remember them:

1. You can see how rather than a rivet/pivot setup these are forged out thin at the top to act like a spring swage.

2. You can see that one leg is forged into the the arc need to capture the other leg.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? And if so can you remember how the free leg is locked into place? In my mind there was some kind of clever friction fit, but I can't for the life of me remember, and I might be wrong completely.

6601.attach

Edited by patrickrock

Looking at your drawing, I would make a similiar bend in the "free" leg. However, this bead would be closed (basically a knob that traps the other leg.....) and perpendicular to the other bend, passing through the other bend...

It would like the profile for a railroad rail....

Ray Larsen has a nice one piece compass/scribe in his book Tool Making for Woodworkers. It's not completly one piece as there is a fastener used to clamp the pencil in place and the slide (bridge piece?) and locking screw are separate pieces as well, but the entire body is made from one piece of 16" X 1/2" X 3/16" AISI 1095 high carbon steel. It's a very nice clean crisp design that I like too. I tried to scan it but I'm not having a good computer day. The Luddite in me is rearing its ugly head.

6602.attach

Actually I count it as 5 pieces: Frame, U bend, bolt through U bend, wingnut on bolt through U bend and bolt holding the pencil.

Nice design; I'd probably rivit the ends of the U bend through that flat and make a square hole through the piece for the wingnut bolt and brad it in as well....tempting very tempting

Same here, Patrick.

I think the one you drew would be an awesome exersise for any of us.

I think the key would be knowing which end to start from.

Wrong end, and it could get tricky!

Compasses, scribes, and dividers are basically the same tool, only the points are different. A compass requires a pencil and a fine point. Dividers need two steel points. Scribes require the pencil and a round side on the other leg. Because the side is used rather than the point, scribes are often made from compasses by bending the last inch to better sweep the scribed surface.

I'd start from the "short" leg....

Probably 2ft piece of 1/4 in round or 3/8 in square (have to see what's available...)

1/3 of bar for "short" leg

Forge the taper for the leg, fold and form the nub, then the "spring" part....

Taper the entire section remaining section, then create the "trap".....

Taper the rest of the leg to match lengths and cut off any extra....

Probably would need to tweak the trap and nub after forged by light taps and squeezing with pliers... would need to be extremely tight along whole range to keep position ( the nub should be twice the size of the stock to give good purchase...)

If I can get some forge time tonight (meeting night), might try this myself.... ;)

All this being said, have to try and see how close I really am....