I Forge Iron

Started Power Hammer Project

I started this recently using scrap materials; tracked excavator hammer bit for the anvil, track excavator C frame welded together for the pillar, and a defunct weigh scale for the base. I may use a hydraulic cylinder for power by shop air, with a guided helve style envisioned. Funds are limited so it may take a while to complete.

powerhammer start.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just put 1/2 down on a new air compressor to run my beast in progress....it is a Campbell Hausfield 5 hp 2 stage  with 80 gallon tank rated at 17 cfm at 175 psi. I will put it in after the first of the month when the eagle flies and I make space in the shop and make a new circuit for it.

I went with fixed dies on this project, and the ram is not able to come out without surgery due to unanticipated geometry. If it needs to come out I will have to cut off the die to remove it. The bearing material is polypropylene from kitchen cutting board, field expedient available material, and may have brass shims behind it if needed to take up space. I still need to drill and tap adjusting screws for the guide. I will be using a hydraulic cylinder powered by air to drive the hammer.

Mainly it was the head height; i didn't want the cylinder sticking up, and using available materials i couldn't figure out how to mount the cylinder and guide the head easily. It would have made the design more complex, and I also like the idea of the built in buffer action of the spring to cut down on excess vibration. Building without plans so hope it all works out :)

The top of the ram has a set of rollers above and below the spring to allow for the arc of the spring as it reciprocates. Still thinking about the other end where the cylinder will be, if it needs the same arrangement or not. I might just arrange it with a pivoting connection at the cylinder rod end and connect it to the spring eye. Once i get the spring pack connected to the pivot axle and finish the guide box, i can do some unpowered experiments to see how it will work.

Sorry, no I don't other than looking at a standard mechanical hammer with the toggles in place.. 

If the spring is pretty tight between the bolts with a rubber cushion I can see why it's not needed but if the spring is working directly against the top and bottom bolts/bushings I'm not certain on how it would fair.. 

If it turns out to be an issue, modifying the arrangement won't be difficult; i have used commercial air and mechanicals before, but this is my first try at building one. Hopefully i learned something as a mechanical type in the Army all those years ago and will be close on the first try.

I  modified a spring bushing for the top roller to take up the slack and add in some rubber cushioning....yesterday i made the link for the top of the cylinder to the spring by modifying a leaf spring toggle, which i will beef up a bit by welding a strap on it; the eye of the leaf spring still has the rubber bushing in it, so it will be cushioned at both ends. I also welded on the top of the column, and cut a flange for the bottom of the cylinder to mount to. The cylinder and pivot point are placed asymmetrically so the rod does not extend to the end of its travel, so there will be a built in air cushion in the cylinder as well.

• 6 months later...

Finally back to making some headway on this project; I wired up the compressor, had a flexible hose made, and ordered some air hose from Northern....also took apart the cylinder, reamed out the end cap port, cleaned, resembled and primed it. When funds permit, I still need to order the valves.