I Forge Iron

Henry g lange drill press scrap yard find

I stopped by a scrap yard today and found a pretty unique old drill. I was very tempted to bring it home but I've come to the realization I have too much unused junk as it is lol. What do you guys think, is it worth going back and buying for  .35 cents a pound? 

20180802_131945.jpg

20180802_131951.jpg

Greetings Setlab,

For sure get it.. The base would make a great portable work space.. The pulleys make super bending forms and the shafting great round stock for other projects. The drill press as a drill press not so much.. The picture is my invention that is a multi functional fixture that allows multitudes of various bends . 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

6A39CF95-30EA-476D-B152-14F6B15D65D4.jpeg

Well, that cone pulley does look like a decent bending jig. It just seems blasphemous to start ripping parts off of it. Bar stock is definitely not in short supply at this scrap yard, it's a metalworkers dream! 

That's cirtanly a mountain of pulleys you have there. I don't envy you for when you need to take the bottom one out to use. 

I suspect that machine is actually a glass drill..but possibly an edge beveler/polisher.  When looking up the Henry G Lange Machine works, they seem to have been in the early auto glass business with a focus on glass surface polishing machinery with a few sidelines.  Adolf F Lange seems to have been the main guy at least in the 30's as his name is used on the patent assignments.

"1224. MISCELLANEOUS. [Glass]. Henry G. La nge Machine Works. CATALOG No. 42. ABRASIVE BELT SANDERS. GLASS EDGE RS. GRINDERS. GLASS DRILLS. AUTO GLASS AND MIRROR SHOP MACHINERY AND SUPPLIES. (Chicago IL, circa 1940). 52pp. "

Google maps shows the factory location as an empty lot now.  An early google ad from 1922 shows they were in business then...and the 40's reference above gives you a range of years to at least start from.  There is implication of them being around as late as 1957 but it's sketchy.

Couple of glass machinery related patents in the 30's...

I wish there was pictures online I could find, usually vintage machinery has information on anything I can throw at it. I kind of like those movable ball weights in lue of a quil return spring. I kinda think I'm going to leave it be, if anyone is interested PM me it's in the Dayton Ohio area. 

• 4 weeks later...

There's a good bit of demand for those vintage machines if you can get it back into halfway decent condition.  There are tons of glassworkers out there who really get a kick out of using something that's a century old.  They don't necessarily have the skills to refurbish the drill, but they'll certainly buy it.

And the base could always be turned into a small welding table or tong/hammer cart. Whenever I see a nicely made base in the junk pile, I try to think how much it would cost me to make the same thing.  Usually, there's no way I could make it for as little as it costs.

Of course, the big question is whether you have the time and energy to take the drill home and bring it back to life.  In order to sell it, you'd have to reach out to folks who work in other crafts, but I'm sure it'd sell.  If nothing else, some interior decorator would probably snatch it up so they could put it in a bar or cigar "shoppe".

It does look like something neat you would see in a restaurant interior or similar. I've learned my lesson too many time about buying things to resale, almost always I seem to put more effort into it than the return I get back and it sits around forever before someone wants to buy it.... Sometimes I still make that mistake though but I'm trying to stop the habit lol.