I Forge Iron

chimney pipe question...

hello fellers - daily lurker, very rare poster here with a question...

i have an outdoor coal forge with an 8" chimney and draft hood that draws quite well. but i'm building an indoor shop (inside a garage) and am bouncing around ideas for how to install the pipe. i'd rather not cut a hole in the roof for the chimney - was wondering if a chimney would still draw well if it started at say,a 45 or 60 degree angle out the side of the garage, and then went vertical.

i've seen woodstoves up here with chimney pipe going horizontal out a basement wall. i don't understand how that works, (maybe they have fans?) but is it possible to make a chimney that will draft starting from a horizontal position and a 90 degree turn into a vertical pipe?

anyone have any experience with this, or perhaps a design they could point me toward?

thanks!

Edited by snake

Tom Clark's school has all of the forges (12 or 14, half down each side) against the outside walls and go straight out the wall then straight up. They draft well and I did not notice and problems while there. I use a side draft and the pipe runs at about 30dregrees out the side of the shop then sraight up. I have no problem with mine. You can google search to get patterns for a side draft, I LOVE mine and would not have a overhead hood for my purposes. Otheres will disagree about the hood, I'm sure. Oppinions and belly buttons...we all have one. ;)

Edited by Thomas Dean

Check out Hofi's stainless chimney's. I use a variation of this with 28" of horizontal duct leading to 14' of vertical pipe. Draws like a supercharged Hoover. I ran it out of the building through a window opening.

Thomas Dean
I personaly fabricated the chimney system at the ''OZARK SCHOOL'' when I was teaching there.
ALL the school the tools -hammers -tongs chisles -drifts- fullers- and all the sampling boards were forged by me acc to the system at my school in ISRAEL.
AND THE CHIMNEY TOO.
HOFI