I Forge Iron

Hard-facing a Russian anvil.

When the rebound averaged 60%, and I have the means to effect (hopefully positive) change, why not?

sYzk1Qq.jpg

The hottest days mean, it's easier to preheat. This is only the first half of the operation, next comes the grinding booth, the tougher half!

Anyway, here's my video.

On 7/28/2018 at 8:54 PM, tanglediver said:

why not

Other than the cost of the energy for welding and anvil preheat, cost of the welding rod and grinding wheels/discs, and value of your time for welding, heat treating and grinding I don't see any reason why not.  Looks like a fun project.  I'm impressed that you were able to stand so close to the 400 deg. anvil mass while surface welding.  Looks like some nice clean welding beads to me; from a distance anyway.

Oh yea, the heat is only bad if you touch it for anything more than an instant with gloves on. Outside, the sun felt hotter! But, I screwed up my back in that horrible position. I had to take a couple days off work! I'm on the clock this weekend, so, it will have to wait. It's been waiting 20 years at least already. It'll be a few more days before I get back to it.

As for those welds, the Stoody rods run like butter, even compared to 7018's. I expected it to behave like any other "filler" type rod, it does. I may need to add more top layer if I find big gaps. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this project has been started with Stoody rods, and that is what I am using on it. I don't look forward to grinding it, so many other projects get me side tracked. But, I will get back to it, God willing. The Gunther article recommended a cup stone, but I haven't got one of those, I'll probably do without.