I Forge Iron

Galvanized cable?

I have recently found a lot of cable, and because cable etched like snake skin I thought I could make a snake. But, I do not want to put any galvanized or coated stuff in a forge so I am wondering whether there is a way to tell if the cable is galvanized or not. 

Thanks,

Awrkiron

Doesn't "look" galvanised.  Tho. Sometimes rusty can be. If you try to forge some and it burns a yellow green/blueish then stop. If it heats like regular steel ( other than the oils it might be impregnated with) it's good. 

If galvanized wire lays in the dirt long enough it will rust.  The fact that some parts are still shiny while others are cruddy tells me that it was once galvanized completely.  Well, it doesn’t “tell” me that, but that’s what I would assume if it were mine to deal with.

Cut the length you want, coil it up, and give it a vinegar bath anyway.  Can’t hurt and might help even if there is no zinc.

Have fun,

Lou

Vinegar will dissolve galvanization, but it won't have any effect on grease. In fact, if there's any grease on the cable, then the vinegar won't be able to get to whatever is underneath. 

I'd suggest cutting a couple of pieces a few inches long off the end without the loop. Put one in a container of vinegar, and the other in a container of some kind of degreasing solvent. Allow to soak for a couple of days, and see what you get.

Do NOT simply burn off whatever is on the cable. Unless you know for certain that there is no galvanization, then you're running the risk of creating toxic fumes that you'll either be breathing yourself or sending downwind for someone else to breathe. Both of those are bad.