I Forge Iron

Press Design - To have or not to have 45 degree joins?

Ross Moffett

Hi Y'all,

My latest press design has the I beams connecting at a 45-degree angle, my question is if this is as structurally sound as say the beams connecting at 90-degrees?

I've colored the I beams different colors for ease of viewing - refer to image below.

Thanks in advance,

Ross

press 1.jpg

press 2.jpg

Hi Ross,

Is there a specific reason that you would undertake all this extra fitting?  An H frame press with the cross members welded between the I beams, if properly prepped welded should be more than sufficient for up to a 50 ton press.  If I was concerned beyond that, I would add gussets, but the drawing you presented would be a fitting nightmare for my limited skills, and perhaps lend no advantage to the finished product.

Jspool: Thanks for the reply. Sometimes -read mostly always- I may get a bit carried away with trying to get a "neat" design, your advice is definitely a better and more economical route, especially if I can't get hold of a metal bandsaw to use. Though I think I shall still put gussets in all the corners.

Ross

Hi if if want to do it to a best practice standard then you need to put in stifeners or continue the sides of the H as this is the part of the h beam that carries most of the load and the center part is mostly just to hold the sides of the H apart, And as Jspool said you are making a lot more work and getting a lesser result while probably still strong enough its not the proper way of consrtucting the frame. Cheers Beaver

Hello there Ross

Yes thats much better though you could box in the whole bottom beam which would support the edges better or if you wanted to go completely over the top put stiffeners in and box it with some plug welds to tie it all together, this is what I did when I was making my press though its much bigger and intended for general workshop duties

box in.jpg

Heres a poor pic of my 20 ton press. Kind of a split H frame as I can also feed from the side. Top and bottom I beams run to the outside and are just welded to the verticals. Been in use for 25 yrs., mostly in a factory for cold punching before I picked it up. Not complicated.

BE163569-B1AD-4A41-9E1A-A396BD238FE8.jpeg