I Forge Iron

scrap owl

On 6/24/2018 at 5:17 AM, ausfire said:

OK, continuing the owl theme, simplicity is sometimes a good option. These little guys are really easy to do and the kids like them. Just a bit of 'cognitive' thinking:

little owl.JPG

little owls 1.JPG

Man those are cool.  Once I get my shoulder back to working like normal (hopefully a month at most) I want to give a go at those.  I have an idea on the feet I want to try.  But those are just as cute as can be.  You  should do some minions!!

Ben, What is your idea for the feet? I only use wrenches because they are stable and I have a lot of them. Small lag bolts welded together make good feet too, but more time consuming of course.

15 hours ago, ausfire said:

Ben, What is your idea for the feet? I only use wrenches because they are stable and I have a lot of them. Small lag bolts welded together make good feet too, but more time consuming of course.

Instead of welding them to bolts, dog ear it back, then forge weld toward the front for the base, giving them the back 'claw' we're used to birds having, and eliminating the welding of the threaded rod on them.   You could actually hammer the fold in a claw type point, and should provide added stability.

Yes, the weld joining the bolt to the wrench is a bit ugly. I follow what you're saying there, but I think the forge weld could be a bit tricky. I'll do another one and have a go. Maybe you could post a pic if your method works out.

Aus,  Steampunk is essentially modern day "Victorian era" where no electricity is used.  Steam , clockwork mechanisms, airships, clothing, etc.. Think Jules Verne, or The Wild Wild West TV show.  There are several groups where the members do steampunk events here in the States.  It really opens up a new venue for craftspersons who work in blacksmithing, leather, special effects...

1 hour ago, ausfire said:

Yes, the weld joining the bolt to the wrench is a bit ugly. I follow what you're saying there, but I think the forge weld could be a bit tricky. I'll do another one and have a go. Maybe you could post a pic if your method works out.

It will be a bit, but I am going to try a leg this weekend just to see. I'll post a pic.