I Forge Iron

Questions about rounding hammers

Gustav

Hey guys, beginner blacksmith here.

I want to purchase a Brian Brazeal style rounding hammer, like the one Alec Steele uses but I don't know how heavy it should be. I plan on forging candleholders, leaves, bottlecap openers and other smaller projects. If things go well I might eventually try to forge knives. How heavy do you recommend that the hammer should be? 1 kg? 1,5 kg? If you know any good ones, please link me to them (if they ship to Europe, I live in Sweden).

Grateful for all the help I can get.

Sincerely,

Eophex

2lbs - .9kg I find a good weight for forging such items. Some people need to start lighter. It all depends on you. Most people starting out want to use the size hammer I use but I have built up to it. I'll let them try them see them fatigue a little or struggle and offer a lighter hammer. There is No one hammer to rule them all.  But between 1lb and 2lbs I feel are generally good starters for most people. 

I just weighed my hammer and it turns out it weighs 1650 grams (3.6 pounds). That's why it's been so difficult at times!!!

Edited by Mod34
You don’t need to quote when you’re replying to the immediately preceding comment.