I Forge Iron

Date and weight for Arm and Hammer?

Hi all,

I just came across and bought an Arm and Hammer anvil. I'm a major noob but from reading what people are saying about this brand, I'm pretty excited. The serial number stamped on the foot is 37117. Would anyone know roughly when it might have been made? (I don't have the AIA book) It is also stamped with "99" under the logo; is that a reference to the weight? The seller said it was around 100 lbs. Thanks in advance!

a&h stamp.JPG

37117.JPG

We often find that the stamped weight is off by a pound or two when checked with a hopefully accurate scale.  No big deal.  

Figuring out how to do things with what you have available on hand is a valuable tool.  I was called in one time by a previous employer because a forklift had damaged a computer case so that the circuit boards would not slide in.  As getting a new one would take several months and US$20K  they had the bright idea that as a smith I was used to manipulating metal---they asked me if I could hammer it back in line.  Telling them it had already had more impact than computer equipment should have; I pulled out the dent slowly and controllably using some C clamps and some loose boards off a pallet. Cards slid in, system booted up. Boss *smiled* and I went back to doing my "real" job...software engineer.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, not trying to hijack this thread but have the same question and this seems like a good place for this information to live.
I just picked up an Arm & Hammer anvil and would like to know the sam info on mine!
on the Arm & Hammers is the weight marked as lbs or do have to do the stone conversion thing like a Peter Wright?
my anvil says 265 for the weight? and the SN# is 39870
thank you "ALL" for all the info on this site!!

20200111_081346.jpg

20200111_081349.jpg

20200111_081340.jpg

20200111_081454.jpg

Welcome aboard... have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST   It will help you get the best out of the forum. A&H marked their anvils in pounds. I'm sure someone with a copy of AIA will be along to give a date range of when it was made. It was made by Columbus Anvil & Forging, Columbus Ohio.  It's a good looking anvil from the pictures. Have you done a ring & rebound test on it? I hope you have read about not doing any grinding, milling or welding on the hardened face. As far as hijacking (snort) we do that all the time.:) There are several other interesting threads about the A&H the read this thread will explain how to do an effective search.