I Forge Iron

Jayco pet feeding system

jayco

Have you ever tried to feed your 'farm' dogs and cats, in the backyard.........at the same time?

You know what happens,.....the dogs attempt to monopolize all the food.

Here's a way around the problem. Put the cat food on a perch of some sort that the cats can gain access to .........and the dogs can't.

This is based on an age-old fact; dogs can't climb! (At least, not as well as cats).

The red building in the pics is an old smokehouse turned into a utility shed.
There was a live tree growing on the right side of the door. It has since died, but still serves as the cat's climbing post.........that's why I haven't removed it.

Anyway, it works like this; at feeding time, the cats run up the tree,across the horizontal 2x4, onto a plywood platform, where the food is served.

The dogs have their own food,........directly underneath the cat's feeding station.

The dogs do notice an occasional bit of cat food falling from the sky and sometimes seem puzzled by it, but they actually pay little attention to the going's on just over their heads.

I've even come up with a slogan;
"Cats love it---------and dogs......can't do nothing about it"

I've been enjoying this peculiar situation for a number of years now;
Just thought I'd share.............

James Flannery

6116.attach

6117.attach

6118.attach

6119.attach

6120.attach

6121.attach

Thanks for sharing that.

We have a 6 month old blue healer that has no brains and an unexplainable desire to terrorize cats. The cats have not had a decent meal since the dog moved in.
They will appreciate your suggestion.

Don

my dog would rather eat cat food than dog food, vet says cat food has more fat in it. so tastes better, dog won't eat her own food except when she thinks she is starving, but kitten likes to use dogs food as hokey pucks, so dog only gets fed when she makes a fuss, to keep dog out of cat food, I got one of those clear plastic storage boxes with a snap on lid and put cat feeder inside it with a hole cut in one end just big enough for cats to get in. Really frustrates dog, she set in front of it when cats are eating and whines, like they are gonna bring her out a take out order. LOL

Got one of those big pet waterers that looks like a small plastic jug like is used for people drinking dispensers, dog just got done making a substantial withdrawel and kitten went up to drink, big gurgle as air went up in bottle and water came out to keep it full, scared the daylights out of kitten and a flying ball of fur to kittens hidee hole was all I saw. A bit later kitten came sneaking up on waterer like it was out to get her, like to died laughing at kittens antics.

Now to figure out how to make dog food accessable to dog, but keep kitten out.

My dog would rather just eat cats, or any other critter that crosses her path, friendliest dog in the world, she just doesn't like other animals, 12 yr old black lab and she can still catch em. Last week she got herself a rooster, which she left me the pleasure of cleaning up.

welder19

Pault 17,using the bag as a 'feeding appliance' was the dog's idea.
The very first time I brought one of those generic brown bags home and opened it up, the dog took one look at the bag and put his head right inside.
(It's clearly marked 'dog food'..............

Apparently, he can read.........:)