I Forge Iron

Mirrors

brian

Not sure what the problem is. Do you have any pics? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Sorry ,no pictures yet ,haven't made the frame until I can work out the simplest way to fit the mirror.
Thought I'd start with a square frame of 1 1/2 by 3/8 flat bar ,just a small frame 12" square .

One of the methods I've been working on for holding glass in metal frames is a form of bracket. It's a simple "U" of steel riveted through the center to the outside frame. The walls of the "U" are dependent on the weight of the glass to secure (12ga or 16ga usually) and can be bent cold. A thin slice of close-cell foam protects the glass. I would bend the back tab using a torch (to prevent strain) to a 90 degree angle and the front tab to a 45-60 degree angle. Insert the foam and the glass, then bend the front tab to secure.

showphoto.php?photo=7452&cat=500

Gday Brian,

You could get some u shaped Alum channel, but you would still have to screw it on. Or you could use small angle for the frame, either with tabs welded to it to hold the glass in or weld some angle to the back of a frame to form the U channel. Pad the glass with foam, felt, rubber or some such.

Hope this helps.

Rusty_iron,
Brisbane, Oz.

I used to make a nice wooden frame that fit snugly into the metal frame and then just use brads or small screws thru predrilled holes in the frame, the frames were just square with scroll work around the outside. and I covered the mirror with two layers of 2 inch masking tape, one cross ways and one up and down and then cut out a desing with a razor knife and bead blasted the design carefully, then removed the tape and cleaned the mirror. Presentation mirrors for different Local Organizations.

Also used to make trophies for different organizations, ie: an old piston with one place melted off at the top on a wood base for hard luck trophy for car club, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Consider the thickness of your glass ( say 1/4" plate mirror ). Experiment with some small square heated and forged on the edge of a piece of 1/4" stock ( wrapped around the edge ). See if the wrapped square fits over the edge of the glass easily. If not, put the square back over the 1/4 stock and tap the edge part ( cold) and see if that improves the fit. you should be able to find the right combination of thickness to fit over the edge of the glass in this manner. Just my 5

Case has it right. Silicone will hold the mirror better than any sort of tabs. Just design your frame so that you've got enough frame/mirror overlap (say at least 1/4") then put a small bead of silicone on the very edge of the mirror and "set". That's how we would've done it in the glass shop I worked in anyway. Let it cure overnight and voila! You're good to go.

There's a few pieces of brass plate around here(1/8"). They came in with a mirror coating on one side. I'm not sure how you locate that particular kind of plate stock, but I don't believe it's uncommon. Great thing is that you don't have to worry about breaking glass at any point. And you could easily drill and tap it if needed. Or work hot steel around it to hold it in place without too much trouble.

Just a thought.

Edit: I just asked around here, it was order long ago, but it's chrome plated brass. No one can remember a price, but if it's the right material for the job....

Edited by Candidquality