I Forge Iron

Help in Alberta?

I would recommend trying to track down the Western Canadian Blacksmiths Guild. They used to have a great website, but it has disappeared recently. If I remember right, the guys at Fort Edmonton were decent. Heritage Park in Calgary also has a potential contact point. There are lots of schools and courses here in Ontario, so if you're down this way there could be some good learning opportunities. There is a Blacksmith Museum on Lacombe (not too sure how far away that is for you) which could have some resources for you.

My final advice, read everything you can here on Iforgeiron, ask questions, and then get out and try it. This group always provides good advice and of course, encouragement.

I would recommend trying to track down the Western Canadian Blacksmiths Guild. They used to have a great website, but it has disappeared recently. If I remember right, the guys at Fort Edmonton were decent. Heritage Park in Calgary also has a potential contact point. There are lots of schools and courses here in Ontario, so if you're down this way there could be some good learning opportunities. There is a Blacksmith Museum on Lacombe (not too sure how far away that is for you) which could have some resources for you.

My final advice, read everything you can here on Iforgeiron, ask questions, and then get out and try it. This group always provides good advice and of course, encouragement.

good post...hope he learns...z

The Wetern Canadian Blacksmiths Guild is alive and well, but out website is down currently. If you are located near Edmonton, you can come to the next meeting which is on the second Saturday of the month. We meet at the Alberta Heritage Park run by the West Leduc Antique Society. It is located a few miles west of Leduc. I can give you directions if you want.

If you are closer to Calgary, there is a guild chapter there too, and I can get you a contact.

Please let me know which site is more convenient, an I will provide more details. Sorry about the website being down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...