I Forge Iron

Brand Reviews

holder

I would be interested the benefits of one brand to another.  Or does it matter.  Thus far I've been advised find a heavy piece of metal and use it for an anvil until I can get something better.  Yet I've seen pics of anvil with attachments being used to bend hot iron during the forging process.  It seems this thread has lots of anvils found and asking for help to identify them, but little on anvil usage.  What are the different parts of the anvil used for, why are some shaped differently.  If I spend the cash for an anvil, I'd like to know why I'm buying a particular type of anvil.  Or is that in another section and my Newbieness is showing.

The use is  basically all same.  It is a solid mass in which to beat metal on.  This could be a rock, block of steel, or manufactured anvil.  The anvil will not necessarily make your projects turn out perfect if your skills are still sub-par.  A skilled smith could most likely make a better knife on a block of granite than a newer smith using a brand new popular brand anvil.

Rebound is the bench mark of a great anvil.  If rebound is equal among a dozen anvils, then it all boils down to personal taste and type of work being done.  Do you need a 400lb beast for doing architectual metal work or a 50 lb lump of steel for making small knives and trinkets.

As far as brand difference and which is best.  It is like cars, what is the best daily driver?  Chevy, Ford, or Dodge?  They are basically the same, but it is the personal preference for what ever reasons that cause the debate.

With that said,

Cast iron with solid steel tops tend to be quieter.  More popular brands are Fisher and Vulcan.

Wrought iron with steel tops were probably the most produced style across many many makers.  The more popular brands today are Hay- Budden, Trenton, Peter Wright, Arm and Hammer, Mouse hole.

Then there is the Cast Steel anvils.  Usually loud as a church bell.  The popular brands are Kolwasha,  Soderfors, Brooks.  I believe the anvils still being made today are also solid cast steel.  Such as Nimba, Rhino, peddinghaus, Fontanini.

These names mentioned are not inclusive.  There are hundreds of brands made over the years.  These are just some of the more seen names on the market.

So, unless you are a collector, the brand doesn't matter.  What matters is Rebound, condition, and then price.

Well I'll say the fat waisted English 19th century anvils are better for heavy hitting and the elongated American anvils from around 1900 are better for ornamental work,  Many people love the southern Germany/Austria double horned anvils.

It all depends on what YOU want to do and how much of it.

I have a number of different anvils: Powell, HB, A&H, PW, Fisher, Trenton and I have to say I use all of them but really love working on my Massive Fisher due to how large and how quiet it is. (I also have a heck of a lot of hours on my small, 91 pound,  A&H as it's been my travel anvil for demos and teaching for about 35 years now.