I Forge Iron

Supplying air to coal forge

Constructing coal forge. I am deciding whether to simply leave the end of the pipe open, OR cap the end and drill holes/ grind slits perpendicular to pipe.

One large opening V.S. many small openings

Am i correct in assuming that the first option will create greater temperature due to more air concentrated, while the ladder will spread out the heat over a larger area?

What are the pros and cons of both.

If anyone has experience or knowledge regarding the topic, it would save me much trial and error.

Thanks  -Derek

P.S. Im using zomax hand crank blower. Any suggestions on pipe diameter? I plan on using 3/4"

Well there are probably several thousand years of experience on this site with coal forges; I've go 35 or so myself, (started 37 years ago with charcoal...)

HOWEVER you haven't told us anything about the type of forge you are building---I'm building a car with a gasoline engine---does the engine go in the front, the middle or the back?

23 hours ago, Derek Haiges said:

P.S. Im using zomax hand crank blower. Any suggestions on pipe diameter? I plan on using 3/4"

That 3/4 inch pipe will be too small, especially if you are building a bottom blast with a fire pot, use the same diameter pipe as the blower outlet.

Acualy 3/4” schedual 40 pipe is just about ideal for a side blast charcoal forge, tho ideally you want a cone from the size of the Bowery to the outlet. A pipe the size of the blower into a reducing bell works just fine, a reducing bell into a long 3/4 nipple induces more friction. A bottom blast forge usually uses a 2” Tuyere, then a grate of some kind.  

I plan on entering the 3/4" pipe through the back of the forge. Back blast, if thats a thing? All i know is that it would not be a bottom blast.

Imagine the difference between an open end garden hose v.s having a shower head.

Im deciding if i should leave the end of the pipe open, or cap the end and drill a series of smaller holes?

How will they differ in terms of temperature,  fuel consumption, overall heat etc.

Personal opinions are also appreciated.

Thanks-  Derek