I Forge Iron

Tempering damasteel

Hey guys so i have a question i have been using some dama steel and looking at there website and spec sheet the tempering temps seem low around 345 F However looking around on some of the forums people seem to be tempering much higher at around 450 and even 500.....now yes i know the higher temp just makes the steel a lil softer i am just wondering for those of you out there that do use damasteel where do you normally temper it and about what is the resulting hardness? Thanks ahead of time!

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know how many people buy damasteel, most make their own damascus steel.  Look up a generic tempering chart and see what you want to use it for, and just follow that.  Axes are softer, filet knives are harder etc...

Best of luck!

Frosty, he seems to imply that the information he has is from the makers. 

On 3/25/2018 at 10:47 AM, ds99 said:

i have been using some dama steel and looking at there website and spec sheet the tempering temps seem low around 345 F

That may or may not be low, depending on what youre using it for. Might be just about perfect for a straight razor. Definitely too low for a longsword. 

Point is, in order to make a reasonable suggestion, we need to know what youre making. 

We cannot make bricks without clay.