I Forge Iron

1st forge build questions

cbrianroll

Good day all! Been a while since I first was starting a build...then life got in the way. FINALLY building a 20lb propane forge. Draining and welding tank today. Ordered inswool, metrikote and kast-o-lite. Hitting the hardware store today or tomorrow for a 3/4  frosty t-burner build and firebrick. I've been rereading to be on top of everything and just wanted to ask if I've missed an update to the design. I have redownloaded the pdf and am using that plan.

Also, Thank you smart guys for posting plans and all the invaluable info you provide for free.

Im mimicking Wayne Coes..."build a gas forge". Got as far as welding hinges on top half and my wire feed stopped. This project has been doomed from day 1 lol. ...oops, after rereading my 1st post I meant I redownloaded pdf for frostys t-burner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well....slowly made progress, forgot to take pics along the way....

Here I am today..first firing...hows it look? Rebar was in there just for fun...turned red (inside the forge, took it out couldn't see it) in 3 min roughly, wadnt really keeping an eye on it. Don't seem to sputter....sounded like a weed burner. Still new to this do I'm not exactly sure what to look for in flame color....and should I fire a few small times to break it in? Burner angle is off abit still I just got my tap today. Thanks

20180407_100538.jpg

Not a bad first try lol, thanks to everyone who's posted tutorials and offers advice!! I'm not happy with several things about this forge (the way i made it) but now I know what to do differently next time. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to mess with it a bit more.