I Forge Iron

Help with Anvil ID & dating question

I am wondering if anyone can help me in identifying this anvil I just bought. It is my first real anvil (I also have a chinese aso...ugh). I got it for real cheap because it is in pretty bad shape...BUT the horn is in decent shape and there is enough of a flat surface that I can use it until I get something better.

There are NO identifying marks that I can find other than the weight. 0-3-12. (according to the calculater I used, this equals 96lb and my bathroom scale says 90 lb...close enough I guess). I'm including a picture to see if anybody notices anyting about it that suggests a particular company.

As far as dating, I read on another site that gave guidlines for dating anvils that said if it didn't have a pitchell hole then it was made before about 1790-1795. Does this sound correct?

Thank you in advance for your help.

oldanvil5.jpg oldanvil-21.jpg

A little more info, and pictures of the sides and bottom would help. Inspection marks and serial nembers are sometimes found on the feet.

Square holes in the sides are for porter bars, used to handle the anvil while hot, found unly on wrought iron anvils.

The short horn, lack of pritchel hole, and weight system indicate an early to mid 1800's english import.

If there is a slight ridge that you can feel at the bottom of the horn, Postman sez it's probably a Mousehole.

"..anvil & dating question.."

mmn whear a nice suit, put un some good colone, some flowers would be nice to, dinner maybe a movie.. and afterwourd if your verrry lucky.. you just might... get to hammer on your anvil :P
Althow I don't understand why you would be wanting to be dating an anvil in the first place.. a love of blacksmithing is ok,.. but your pushing it to far!!!

:D

sorry guy's its friday, I just couldn't resist :rolleyes:

It may be a Mousehole; but the weight markings look very odd for one. it is definitely an English anvil from fairly early---I would guess around 1800's myself. There were several hundred anvil manufacturers in England of which only a few of we are used to seeing in America so lots of chance to being an "oddball".

If you are going to use it what make is not important, how it works is what is important!

This one has seen a lot of use but has another century of so of life left in it if it is not abused or destroyed in misguided repair attempts, (as opposed to very well done repairs...)

Here's a little more info on my anvil and a pic of the bottom. I couldn't find any markings other than the weight anywhere on the anvil.

Just for the record, the make isn't that important to me...especially as to whether or not it is a decent anvil to use. I love old things and I like to find out as much as I possibly can about them, that's all. This is my main anvil for now and although FAR from being perfect, I know it will serve me well.

base- 9" x 8 1/4" (23 x 21 cm)
face- 4 1/4" x 11" (11 x 28 cm)
height- 8 1/2" (22 cm)
horn length- 6 3/4" (17 cm)

The legs are "serrated" on top (to allow for anchors to better hold)
There is a square hole in the very bottom, under the horn, and under the heal (from what I understand they were used in the anvil make process).

Any further info will be appreciated. Thank you for the replies so far.

John

5934.attach

"I love old things" makes the dating question even easier. Anything 10-15 years older than you will snatch your hand off. Just make sure she can afford to keep you in the style to which you want to become accustomed.

Re the anvil don't do a thing to it. If you want to use it as an anvil then maybe just smooth off the deeper marks with a belt sander but otherwise get on with some work on it.