I Forge Iron

Late bloomer wants to make Damascus drop point blades

thresher

My goal is to craft Damascus drop point blades suitable for game dressing/skinning.  Something I've been wanting to do for decades. Nearing retirement, I'm gathering information and equipment to be able to implement my plan.  Working as a piping/mechanical designer in the offshore platform industry (aka "designing navigational hazards") I've served my time in fab yards and machine shops.  Always fascinated with the artisans and craftsmen who often took time to explain and demonstrate their "tricks".  Over a summer in high school, I worked for a farrier, which I think, sparked the blacksmith fascination some 45 years ago

Call me a "late bloomer" if you like.  Even when I retire (though I'll be doing things I feel are really important) I know that I will still want to create things.  Iron is my preference.

Cheers!

I may start with billets to get acquainted with installing and dressing bone slabs prior to the forging side of the issue.  That I can begin now relatively easy prior to investing in a forge and anvil of some sort.  Ultimately, I will be forging my own though.

Thanks for the response.

Cheers!

Yes sir.  I have been hanging around IFI as a visitor for a while.  Was impressed with the knowledge base.  Decided to join. 

Plan on making a striking anvil and small forge.  Will continue to keep an eye out for a "proper" anvil.  Refuse to feed the buying frenzy of $6+/lb current climate.  Would love to get my hands on a 125ish lb HB, eventually.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard Thresher, glad to have you. TPAAAT isn't only for anvils, it works for virtually anything you're hunting. It's amazing how many people have a pile of mystery tools in a shed left by great uncle Dudley and would be happy to have the space instead.

Frosty The Lucky.

I think buying tools at really low prices is great when you can but maybe $6 per pound is not that bad, when you are producing nice Damascus I would like to get some I will pay up to $8.00 per pound. Just a random thought, don't delay too much waiting for a tool at 1960 prices. Your time is really what is valuable. 

Of course to forgeweld billets a drop or even a piece of new bought 4"/4" square stock will work just as well as a US$6 a pound anvil and I buy mine at the scrapyard for 20 cents a pound. A fancy anvil will NOT make your billets better. Getting out there and making a bunch of them is what gets them better!

I go past the scrapyard every time I dump the trash...