I Forge Iron

Swage Block design

Chance Baker

Hey guys i'm designing a swage block to get cast and i was wondering what you guys think should be included in any swage block and what you guys would personally like to see, please be specific in the type of holes and sizes in correlation to them. I appreciate all of you guys' help. 

I don't have a swage block, but If I did, I would want it to have depressions for bowls, ladles, spoons, etc. The half round and half square depressions on the sides are something that would be nice, but I personally don't think I would use them very often. Remember that back in the day, hammer marks were a sign of poor quality work, thus making a swage block coupled with the appropriate top swages a very useful tool. Nowadays, people *like* hammer marks, making them largely obsolete. Most swage blocks also had square and round holes for holding jigs, drifting tools, etc. I personally wouldn't use those very often, as the hardy hole, pritchel hole, and vise accommodate most of my needs. I'm sure there are some people here who couldn't imagine life without one, but I think most of us like them mainly because of nostalgia.....which raises the question "is there a big enough market for modern produced swage blocks to make any kind of profit?"

I think it would have to have a one inch hardy hole and a two inch hole for drifting hammers and such as well as for making hardy tools.  Also, I think,it would be useful for two of the corners to be rounded with different radiuses for sheet metal or armor making. The dishing areas for spoons and bowls are super nice as well.

Lou

10x10x4 solid would be 105# in ductile 113# in steel so you need to have at least 1/3 if that missing to meet that max weight on a flat rate box and expect them to shred the box in shipping. (ALWAYS have a label on the item being shipped, in an indentation if possible.)

The issues is the patterns will need to be specific for the uses.  What an armour wants would not help a bladesmith much.

I don't think I would drift over a cast iron block.  I prefer steel when I'm sledging!