I Forge Iron

Firebrick Forge Without a Welder?

Jacob Palmer

So I assume this has been covered 100 times before, but hear me out:

I recently built a Frosty T burner. (And it works pretty well) I had planned to make a gas forge with kaowool and a propane tank, but I learned the extent of the dangers of kaowool. (I already knew it was bad but not this bad) I know there are refractory sealants to protect me from the fumes but I don't want to take that risk.

So I want to build a gas forge with firebricks. The issue is: how do I build a stable firebrick forge without welding (and with a low budget) I still don't have access to a welder. I've looked around a lot for info on this and I've found nothing. (Loads more time than an hour this time BTW...) If I made a forge would the brick would I need refractory cement to seal it? Do I even need to support the bricks to make a stable forge? And what type of bricks do I use: soft or hard? 

Soft bricks. All thread to clamp it together, Infared reflective coating. Was palnning on a 1/2 “ burner but I’m using a turbo torch setup I picked up very cheap at a garage sale.

This setup will go from cold forge and a piece of 5/8 solid square to forging temp (orange) in about 3 minutes.

87A3CC86-3D83-4AFE-AEB3-F32B952EA124.jpeg

7 hours ago, Frozenforge said:

Soft bricks. All thread to clamp it together, Infared reflective coating. Was palnning on a 1/2 “ burner but I’m using a turbo torch setup I picked up very cheap at a garage sale.

This setup will go from cold forge and a piece of 5/8 solid square to forging temp (orange) in about 3 minutes.

87A3CC86-3D83-4AFE-AEB3-F32B952EA124.jpeg

Nice! How many bricks did you use? 

Also, where the heck would I find those bricks? I see some people selling them on Ebay, but it looks kinda shady... And homedepot/lowes only sells hard firebrick.

It is 2 full bricks on top and on bottom and 1/2 brick on each side but you can come up with different options. 

A quick google for Austin Texas turned up Armadillo Clay and supplies. They have bricks insulation, rigidizer and I’m sure alot more than whats on their website.

Look up refactory supplies.