I Forge Iron

About to start my smiting adventure

BeaumontWorks

Hey everyone, new here, found the forms yesterday morning and spent the whole day just reading post and getting tips to get myself started. I started working on a my first little forge which will be a JOBOD forge, and I will be making a post in the forge section when its done. For right now I'm trying to start this as cheap as possible because my job slows down a lot in the winter, so I'm scavenging as much as I can. I just need to get some grind wheels to cut down the tuyere pipe, and dig some clay of from the our stream which Im not looking forward too in 30ºF. I'm also waiting on a railroad anvil that's should be coming today I hope, as well as I need to find a good way to make charcoal without a steel barrel, I don't really have the money or the means to even get one here right now. I don't want to spend money on fuel so buying some is not an option right now. Once I get all that sorted I can finally start my first project which will be a pair of rebar tongs. Lucky for me I'm a stone mason so I can get scraps from our jobs all the time.  So far I've put about $45 in this new hobby, 33 for the anvil, and 12 for a hairdryer, Ill probably have to buy some other tools soon but this should get me started for now and I cant wait!

Hey all thanks for all the welcomes, I looked briefly into some groups around here but I haven't try to make that jump yet. Im in the Baltimore County area of MD though if you have any suggestions.

I'm kinda a learn by doing guy anyways so I like to just try things and see how it goes. Right now I'm trying to make some charcoal just so I can actually try hitting some hot steel. But since I don't have a barrel to make a charcoal retort I'm going to try a charcoal pit idea first and Ill take it from there. I'm trying to make it kinda small because I don't want to wait days like the big pits take, and I don't think I need that much charcoal yet, just enough to get started. Any suggestions for making charcoal without a barrel is much appreciated, I know its the barrel is probably best and easiest I just don't want to spend $30-50 for one right now.

Blacksmith Guild of Central MD. http://www.bgcmonline.org/

There based out of the Carrol County Farm Museum.

I am a member, and their Blacksmith Days in May is a excellent event. Even if you prefer the school of hard knocks, just having some people to call or come over when you get in a jam helps. The tailgating at events is a plus too.  They also have open forge nights.

For small batch charcoal the easiest is just get a fire pit near your forge and build a fire. When you have a nice bed of coals transfer it to the forge and add more wood to the fire.

What he said; just build a fire and transfer hot coals.  I built a shaker shovel from some gravel screen so I can scoop up the coals and then give it a shake to drop out the ashes and too small bits.  Also when I started out in 1981 I built a direct production charcoal system using two scrapped sinks.  Built a fire in one and then when going good put the other over it will all the opening blocked with clay..  What is this with you spending money all over the place??? You rich?

I'm impressed that you have a RR anvil; those things are HUGE weighing hundreds of pounds---or do you have a RR *rail* anvil?  A local demolition company is selling RR rail for US$20 for 7' sections; but I generally advise new smiths to spend $16 for an 80# chunk of steel at my local scrapyard as it makes a much better anvil being a compact mass.  Note sometimes other smiths have loaner gear and rebar is really scraping the bottom of the barrel for tong stock---rough on the hands to use.

Oh yea sorry I'm new wrong terms its just a rail anvil, I decided to buy it was because I want to try blacksmithing and I thought it looked cool so if this hobby wasn't for me I could just put it somewhere on display or something. But I'd much rather not spend money if I can avoid it. I love the idea of being able to just make the tools you need as you go, that's why I want to start of with some tongs because I'm gonna need some. 

TwKtYqdm.jpg

Im gonna try your fire method as soon as I get things set up, I don't know why I didn't consider that but I still want to learn how to make lots of charcoal just because I don't know how.

@CMS3900 How does their open forge night work? I assume its bring your own tools and metal and they just have a forge going for you with some anvils to use.

Since I am in DE, I've never been to one, but hear it's a good time.  The shop is fully equipped. Bring what ever tools you prefer and your project, but there are tongs and hammers and tools there to use. I think there's 5? coal forges in there. Each station has a anvil and a post vise. If it's something your interested in go on their website and reach out to the President, Ted McNett and he can point you in the right direction.  The cost of dues is paltry compared to the experience earned and cool people you will meet.  They usually have blacksmith coal for sale at meetings but check with Ted on that.