I Forge Iron

southern crescent anvil

reddog1k9

hello all,

Can anyone share knowlege about southern crescent anvils.

I am particularly looking for info on:

quality, composition or what it's made of, ring and rebound tendencies, Whats a good price range for a 160 pounder, and maybe a comparison to an HB or a PW.

thanks in advance.....John

So are you interested in their price in South Africa or Australia? 150 countries participate on these forums and prices can differ quite a lot depending on which one you are in!

Southern Crescent are a cast iron steel faced anvil "Very much like a Vulcan except for poorer finishing"  "Anvils in America" page 196

So they are a quiet anvil, no ring and so good for city use and suburbia; but of a low quality in my opinion and so should sell at a heavy discount compared to a Hey Budden, Trenton, Arm and Hammer, Fisher, Columbian, Peter Wright, Swedish cast steel anvils, Mouse holes and a plethora of English anvils... 

Price range would depend on Condition and Location both of which have not been posted.

As Thomas says, location is an important factor. If you will go to your profile and edit it to show your location, I'm sure a general idea of the price range will be forth coming from the members  who are familiar with Southern Crescent anvils.

BTW: there is no comparison to a HB or PW anvil. Pictures of it would help too.

Thanks.

Did not think to include the fact that I live in west central Indiana.

I appreciate the speedy reply, but having read the quote about likening to a Vulcan, I'll be steering clear of it.

Whats your opinions on a Wilkinson.  There's one of those at the same place as the Southern Crescent.

Wilkinson has a tool steel face forge welded on a wrought iron base---like all the older high quality brands save Fisher and the Swedish cast steel ones.  Check the ring, rebound and face plate thickness if possible. Any signs of grinding, welding or milling on the face are a possible severe down check. (If you find one and you think the current owner has done the damage, don't buy it but commiserate with him about how a *PREVIOUS* owner had ruined it and dropped its worth by hundreds of dollars!  Perhaps they will not damage the next one they get...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...