I Forge Iron

Help with Hay Budden ID/Info

How accurate are those  measurements?  Does that 27.5" include the horn, cutting plate or just the face?

4" wide x 16.5" face + 10.5" horn with a 7/8" hardy and a 9/16 Pritchel  is listed as 150 pounds which is a good sized professional shop anvil

Now 4.25" x 17" with a 11 inch horn and a 1" hardy hole and 9/16 pritchel is listed as being 175 pounds.

3.75" x 15" with a 7/8" hardy and a 9/16 Pritchel  is listed as 125 pounds

From Anvils in America page 300-301 List of anvil sizes and Weights

Note "I cannot lift it" is meaningless unless we know what you can lift; I used to lift and carry my weight in an anvil. Nowadays I tend to max out around 165 pounds when necessary and otherwise try to not lift over 134 pounds anvil on a regular basis.  My wife would have trouble with a 50 pound anvil.

The measurement includes horn to end, so 27.5 in from horn tip to anvil end.  The horn itself is, in fact, 11 inches.  I suspect it would then fall into the 4.25 in x 17 in with 11 in horn.  Especially considering my estimated math put the weight at ~177 lbs.  Would you say that it would be a fair assessment to assume it falls into the 175lb category?

I would say have it put on a bathroom scale and weigh it!    (I bought an anvil off of craigslist with delivery at a university about an hour away---but a common location for both parties to be at.  It ended up being his wife and my wife doing the transfer---they grabbed  passing students to do the shifting...You do not need to be doing the lifting!)

Well, I could lift it to some degree, but not standing and in my arms.  I could have someone help me lift it to my arms and weigh it on the bathroom scale, although I imagine it might be a bit difficult.  I will go ahead and try it.  If it were ~175lbs, would there be any interest from anyone for purchase?  Also, based on the images would you consider the condition good, fair, or something else?

Also, I attempted with a bathroom scale and it gave an error regardless of who held it.  It maxed out the scale, so that might not be helpful.

Hello PBR, welcome to IFI. You have a very nice Hay Budden there. I guesstimate it weighs roughly 150 to 165 lbs. You won't have any trouble finding a buyer but bear in mind that selling prices on anvils vary widely depending on location. 100 to 150 years ago here in the U.S. most of the population was centered in the east with much lower densities of people in the central part of the country and out west therefore anvils are much easier to find back east and can be mighty scarce out west. I am in western New York where anvils are not all that hard to find if you put in some time and utilize the TPAAAT system to find one. If I were selling that anvil here in Buffalo, N.Y. I wouldn't let it go for less than $400 USD.

Please include your location in your header with your user name, plenty of smiths right here on this forum looking for a nice anvil like that and you might be surprised to find some of them may be close to your location. If you do decide to sell it please consider listing it here on this website in the tailgating section.

Cheers :)

I was not getting a reading with the anvil alone.  After that, the next option appeared to be to temporarily hold it and subtract my weight.

Some inferences can be made based on the results.  At a weight of ~125lbs + Anvil, the scale errored.  The scale has a maximum of about 300lbs.

I didn't intend on keeping the anvil long.  The only scale I had available was the one I used.

Additionally, based on the material and the specifications, some math can be done to determine approximate weight.  Along with all of your input, I feel confident the weight range is correct.

put a couple of pieces of 2x4 on the scale so the weight is distributed like it would be for a person.  If you have some fancy scale that detects that you are standing on it then their may be an issue. Seek an old simple scale or take it down to the feed store and ask them to weigh it.

In general we compare anvils for sale by price per pound and so knowing the accurate weight can make a difference---for your location, if it passes the bounce and ring tests, there should be no problem getting US$2 a pound and you may get $3.  Higher than that is possible; but may take some time.  Can you determine the weight numbers I can see on the side of the anvil on the waist under the manufacturer's stamp?  Sometimes brushing a little flour can help as it will stick in the indentations and brush off the flats.

I'd have to find another scale.  I can't really make out the numbers for the weight.  The best I can do right now is use my estimate, the dimensions, the book mentioned, and your thoughts.  I'm not a blacksmith, and unfortunately I don't even have a garage at the moment, so I'm not particularly equipped to do much else.  If it's worth at least $400 I suppose that's what I'll take.