I Forge Iron

Worktable

Hello everybody I'm setting up a grinding table, it's going to have 2 6 inch bench grinders and a 4×36 belt sander with disk sanding attachment, the table top(I'm using a reclaimed hand built table, all I got to do is make the legs) and I wanted tok know how to find the "best" table height so that my grinders are low enough to be efficient and get the job done any responses or links to posts that cpluld help inform me would be very beneficial 

18 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

Good Morning,

Only "you" can tell what is comfortable to you. Set up an old door at different heights and try it.

Neil

Will do, just didn't know if there was a baseline, like I know how to find the approximate height for an anvil you should be able to stand up straight and be able to hammer without bending your back or arm, I didn't know if the same logic worked for the table or not

The top of my work bench is right around 38 inches. A safe bet would be between 34 and 36 inches. From what I read when looking for a good height for mine you want the top to be about at your wrist height.

I have mine higher because it feels nice and I didn't want to bend over the table too much.

22 minutes ago, genesaika said:

The top of my work bench is right around 38 inches. A safe bet would be between 34 and 36 inches. From what I read when looking for a good height for mine you want the top to be about at your wrist height.

I have mine higher because it feels nice and I didn't want to bend over the table too much.

ok thanks a lot Gene, I was assuming the rule of thumb would be about the same as the rule of thumb for anvil height but wanted to make sure

now my other question is this, this table is going to be chiefly just a grinding/sanding table on top and storage underneath(similar to the attached picture) and I wanted to know what would probably be the most efficient way to position my 2 benchgrinders and my 1 belt sander? the table is going to be open all the way around so they can face any direction

table.jpg

It also depends on what you want to do with it. If you need the bench grinder close to the sander than do that. It's more of a personal choice I'd say. 

Put your tools on the table and pretend to use them. Move them about as needed and then once you are happy attach them.

12 minutes ago, genesaika said:

It also depends on what you want to do with it. If you need the bench grinder close to the sander than do that. It's more of a personal choice I'd say. 

Put your tools on the table and pretend to use them. Move them about as needed and then once you are happy attach them.

That makes sense, basically I make knives and other things and for the most part the bench grinders will be for working on the spin and such(so I can save on belts) and the sand is for everything else

1 hour ago, genesaika said:

For knifes it might be advantageous to have the sander on a short end. It would give you more space to work. Of course I still can't really say since it depends on what's comfortable to you and your shop.

ok that makes since , im just worried that the curved belt wheel will be hard to get to that way

I was thinking if I have the work table setup similar to the way it is in the picture I posted earlier and I could make some sort of door facing/covering, which to be honest the stuff I am intending to store there is stuff that honestly doesn't matter if it is covered in dust lol but are there any ideas for how to limit how much dust ect. gets on the stuff?