I Forge Iron

Want a borax-proof floor

blacksmith-450

After making a hole in my forge floor with Borax, I try to have a bullet proof solution!

What do you think of the idea of putting a ceramic tile between wool and kast-o-lite? Or a soft / hard firebrick?

I take your suggestions. Thank you !

Maybe I had not made my layer of kast-o-lite quite thick, see the damage.

IMG_2613.thumb.JPG.33fec91982beb925ba5734b540c0aa69.JPG

Kast-0-Lite is resistant to flux.  If you have flux problems with your floor you are probably using to much flux.  I weld Damascus billets in my Ribbon Burner forge with no flux.  You will need a reducing flame and a Pyrometer.

Let me know if I can help you.  You can find my e-mail addy on my profiles page.

Wayne

9 minutes ago, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith said:

Kast-0-Lite is resistant to flux.  If you have flux problems with your floor you are probably using to much flux. 

I left the control of the forge to my friend and indeed, he put A LOT of Borax.

I'm happy to have ordered you some «repair potion», with a layer of Metrikote, everything should be in order soon. :)

When I weld billets I always weld on a rebar handle. Then I put a small piece of scrap at the forge opening and rest the rebar on that, so the billet does not touch the floor. I also use very little amounts of flux. My flux problems are over. If I'm doing pieces that are impractical to prop up, I fire up the coal forge.