I Forge Iron

Granite anvil

Bench vises do not have usable anvils for forging.  Forging on one results in the vise breaking in a very short amount of time.  They are only good for the rare straightening of nails or light duty cold work.  Even for blacksmithing there is a special type of vise know as a "leg vise" or "post vise". It is not made from cast iron and is designed for hammering on---but does NOT have an "anvil" as part of it.

19 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Bench vises do not have usable anvils for forging.  Forging on one results in the vise breaking in a very short amount of time.  They are only good for the rare straightening of nails or light duty cold work.  Even for blacksmithing there is a special type of vise know as a "leg vise" or "post vise". It is not made from cast iron and is designed for hammering on---but does NOT have an "anvil" as part of it.

I think I’ll end up using a 10-20 pound sledgehammer head

8 minutes ago, Charcold said:

If I'm ever in the area I will stop by TP! 

@ Ali a sledge hammer head is what I started on as well, along with a piece of rail. The rebound on the hammer head was much better than the rail for me

I plan on starting on that and when I get better I’ll take a bunch of steel stocks and weld them together cuz steel blocks and forklift forks are hard to come by over here

Mr. Khan,

A sledge hammer head is a good anvil to start. If you are still forging metal after some time, a regular anvil would then be a good investment.

Would it be more economical to acquire an anvil nearby, as opposed to Europe or North America or Europe? If so you might want to check out the Kanka anvil foundry.

They are  located in Turkey.

They have a good reputation for quality tools. You can check out threads on I. F. I.

SLAG.

Damaged forklift tines are often much cheaper than buying new ones. Actually if you have a connection to the construction business; pretty much any large solid piece of a bulldozer will make a good anvil or as I once put it "bulldozers are built of improvised anvils".  Can you find a repair place for heavy equipment and try to get a piece of scrap metal from them cheap?