I Forge Iron

How do I eliminate pitting and scaling?

sstalia

Pitting and scaling is a tough case. Here are a few things that may help you sort it out;
Anytime you heat metal until it starts to show color it scales on the surface. Unless of course you use an atmosheric controlled furnace,,In which case it will not scale while heating,,,but will when you take it out at heat.
Gas forges can develop more scale, and especially if they are not tuned for the proper air/fuel mixture.
The more times you heat the steel the moer scale it develops.
When you hit steel with hammer and it has scale on the surface...or on the surface it is on,,,you drive the scale into the metal...when it falls out or you mechanically remove it you have a pit.
Some things to try:
Develop your hammering technique to get the very most out of moving hot metal before it is not hot enough to be working.
Take a heavy wire brush and quickly brush the steel as soon as you take it from the forge and before hitting..Clean your anvil with same brush. Just prior to taking hot steel from forge.
Check your forge for proper air/fual mix.
Forge everything oversize so you can clean up all surfaces with a grinder,file etc.
Make sure you know what steel you are using and make sure that it is proper for its intended useage.
Remember this is fun.

Walk along the RR tracks *carefully* and see if you can find some coke mixed into the ballast. Crush it fairly fine and put a layer in the bottom of your forge.

Play with the choke on your burner till you get some "dragon's breath" out the front of the forge---don't have a choke---build one!

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Scale can be a pain. Nevertheless it represents carbon leaving your steel. I think one loses somewhere around .03% of carbon PER HEAT! Now that may not seem like alot but remember, steel is going to lose it's heat quicker than that mild steel that you're so familiar with. Work quick and forge the blade as evenly as possible to reduce the number of heats. Here's a trick I use and love...Wet the anvil before forging. Now this may seem crazy and one would think that it would cool the blade too quickly but the scale flies off. I even wet the hammer head when I'm getting close to the end of the forging process. Oh yeah, don't get scared by the loud POP that you're going to hear. This method works for me and has saved me countless hours of polishing! Experiment and decide for yourself!!!