I Forge Iron

Why is my leaf spring steel cracking?

Zaphod

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

On a completely unrelated side note, the original radio show is now available for your Kindle.

The show itself, or just the scripts?

13 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

better pay me a lot, that will take a custom sized smoker for an animal that large and a lot of Hickory wood too

Yakov Smirnoff used to tell the joke, "An American told me he stopped smoking cold turkey. I asked him, What do you smoke now -- ham?"

1 hour ago, Cavpilot2k said:

Ha!

I may have smoked a camel or two after my 10,000 mile flight back in '03.

Wouldn't that make you "Cavpilot10k"?

17 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

better pay me a lot, that will take a custom sized smoker for an animal that large and a lot of Hickory wood too

I would try any kind of meat smoked with hickory, including camel ;-) Now I'm craving BBQ!

5 hours ago, Cavpilot2k said:

Ha!

I may have smoked a camel or two after my 10,000 mile flight back in '03.

Operation Desert Shield/Storm reference....I'm getting old!

@Zaphod, I have had some leaf springs that air hardened between thermal cycles. You can never be sure what the alloy is with scrap steel. It took lots of banging my head against the wall to understand this fact but the truth is I can get good, new 5160 spring steel delivered to my shop for about the same money it costs me in gas to go to the scrap yard. Don't get me wrong, I love scrap steel and make lots of things using scrap but If you're set on trying to forge a sword before you even know what can cause fractures to happen at least drop ten dollars on a new hunk of good steel! It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run. Free metal isn't always free!