I Forge Iron

Unique texturing tool?

I bought a Chisel/punch from a flea marker for a quarter.  Not sure of the intended use.  It's about 10" long and has a unique point. It's like a plus sign that comes to a point.  I've been using it as a texture tool.  Any idea on what the Chisel is called? I feel like it's for stone or masonry use.  It's the one on the left. https://m.imgur.com/9diVEPf

It's called a star drill. Your right, they are for "chiseling" drilling holes stone or masonary. I find them often and they arealso good stock for making other chisels and punches from. I get them when the price is right. 

Yup What Das said. By the way, I really like that straight pein hammer, those are harder to find it seems. I only have one and paid more than I should have.

Littleblacksmith 

15 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

What? LBS I would have expected you to just make one..... I have one that my Dad made when were were taking smithing classes at the local community college. It was torched out of some thick scrap plate that had come in. Works great.  

hahaha. I want to forge a cross pein and a straight pein eventually, just got to find the time.

Littleblacksmith 

not an unusual chisel at all; before the hammer drill came along that was the way holes were made.  I drilled a whole bunch of them in the concrete pad of a carport to put walls up and no electricity close.  I even have one or two of the tools used to dress the tip of a worn out stardrill when they were reforged.  Like a top swage with the "star" cut into the face.