I Forge Iron

Salvage of my star pattern welded billet

BeaverNZ

I have salvaged my failure from when I tried to make a cleaver with a nine star pattern welded billet the same as what Alex steel did a while ago. I was a bit miffed that the cleaver didnt turn out as I had some welds come apart when i was drawing out the billet but this makes all the work worth it again. The blade in these pictures was only roughly ground as I was very keen to see how the patern had changed I am prepared to exept failures as I am pushing my skills and the learning curve is steep. There was almost no hammer work done by hand it was done under the massey 2CWT Cheers Beaver PS this is made from large band saw blade and crane rail track which is 1080 steel

WP_20171007_16_28_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20171007_17_10_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20171007_17_10_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20170702_13_36_34_Pro.jpg

Im doing the worst part of blade making and thats the sanding etc I am thinking of doing a clear perspex handle since there is a star pattern going up the handle as well does any body have any experiance of this, the sander is just on a beer cooled part of the process. Its almost time to take a deep breath and heat treat the blade

WP_20171014_16_44_49_Pro.jpg

WP_20171014_16_45_26_Pro.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have got my blade heat treated and etched Im very pleased with how it has come up. I may of left it in the feric chloride abit long and it may be too strong but its all good I am thinking of using jarah for the handle but I keep changing my mind

WP_20171203_15_33_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20171203_15_34_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20171203_17_32_24_Pro.jpg